2015 Tahoe LTZ Towing Package Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason101

Reaction score
Hello,

First post here. I've been reading through some older threads and couldn't find a solid answer.

I'm considering purchasing a certified used 2015 Tahoe LTZ with 30,000 miles and need the Max Trailering Package. I found one local to me that has this, but I have been reading some some Tahoe's have a self-leveling suspension that levels itself once you hook up your trailer. I think I've seen people mention this as RPO code Z85, but the Tahoe I'm looking at does not have that code. It does have all the codes for the Trailering Package:

• MAX TRAILERING PACKAGE (Includes (GU6) 3.42 rear axle ratio and (JL1) Trailer brake controller. 4WD models also includes (NQH) 2-speed active Transfer case.) (NHT)

• REAR AXLE, 3.42 RATIO (Included and only available with (NHT) Maximum Trailering Package or (Z71) Off-Road Package.) (GU6)

• TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER, INTEGRATED (Included and only available with (NHT) Maximum Trailering Package.) (JL1)

• TRANSFER CASE, ACTIVE, 2-SPEED ELECTRONIC AUTOTRAC with rotary controls, includes neutral position for dinghy towing (Requires 4WD models. Included with (NHT) Maximum Trailering Package and (Z71) Off-Road Package.) (NQH)

Will the 2015 with the NHT have self-leveling?

My other concern is that it comes factory equiped with 22" tires
  • TIRES, P285/45R22 ALL-SEASON BLACKWALL (Included and only available with (RPT) 22" x 9" 6-spoke chrome multi-featured design wheels or one of the 22" LPO wheels.) (QST)
I thought I read somewhere (maybe not on here) that by having 22" wheels, that alone reduces your maximum towing capacity. Is this true?

I have the full list of RPO codes from the glovebox and don't see any that talk about self-leveling suspension.

I plan to tow a 4,500 pound camping trailer, but would like room to grow.

Thanks

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have it with the MRC and Max Trailering Package and the 22s do not diminish your towing capability.

RedAggie03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You have it with the MRC and Max Trailering Package and the 22s do not diminish your towing capability.

I'm not sure you are correct. On Chevy's accessory site the 22's do say they are not compatible with max towing...

OP
OP
J

Jason101

Reaction score
Red

Thanks. I'm still trying to learn my RPO codes and acronyms. What does "MRC" mean?

I'm not sure you are correct. On Chevy's accessory site the 22's do say they are not compatible with max towing...

Maybe that's where I read it. I think they just slightly reduce your capacity by 400lbs or so and therefore you are not "max". That would be okay, but I wanted to see if anyone knew based on experience.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For towing capacity refer to the Tire and Loading Information Label located on the B pillar, Drivers side. Also refer to your owners manual.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a certified used 2015 Tahoe LTZ with 30,000 miles and need the Max Trailering Package. I found one local to me that has this, but I have been reading some some Tahoe's have a self-leveling suspension that levels itself once you hook up your trailer. I think I've seen people mention this as RPO code Z85,

I thought I read somewhere (maybe not on here) that by having 22" wheels, that alone reduces your maximum towing capacity. Is this true?

You can have the Max Trailering Package with different suspension options. ZW7 is simply shocks, the Z55 and other with "G65?" are self-leveling but not necessary.

Older publications for early GMT900 mentioned a loss of towing capacity with 22" wheels, not anymore. Tires have gotten stronger since then I guess.

OP
OP
J

Jason101

Reaction score
You can have the Max Trailering Package with different suspension options. ZW7 is simply shocks, the Z55 and other with "G65?" are self-leveling but not necessary.

Older publications for early GMT900 mentioned a loss of towing capacity with 22" wheels, not anymore. Tires have gotten stronger since then I guess.

I haven't seen these RPO codes on any build sheet I have seen. The only suspension information I have seen is within the NHT package and "Z95 - Magnetic Ride Control Suspension Package" Does tge MRC package mean it is auto-leveling?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE