Longer sway bar end links for front - better handling questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can those be trimmed? If you haven't already bought em - position your swaybar and take a measurement. Ended up going with different cv's on my trucks as the 3" lift up front puts the stock axles closer to 40degree and was tearing inner boots like a motha. Check out PN: GM8033XTT
Nice find on those CV's... RockAuto has them for $120

I'd still need longer sway bar links and dropped pitman arms though, no?

And do you mean trim the front sway links? Wouldn't I need slightly longer sway bar links (not shortened ones) if I'm installing a 2.5" level front?

Last edited:

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I found a few other options for front sway bar links...

Kryptonite (longer version for 7"-9" lift) look like they could be shortened by slicing off the end, same with the Cognito links.

Kryptonite 7-9 sway bay links.jpgCognito sway bay links.jpg

I also found these Nexus links made for Jeep, which are adjustable to fit 2.5" - 6" lift, and would not require any trimming, but not sure about the quality.

Nexus 2.5-6 sway bay links.jpg

Last edited:

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I ended up going with the TRAKMOTIVE from RA for my 05 and solved the CV issues.

The Nexus links look like they'd work well for the rear. I ended up buying jeep links for about ~$30 years ago and they're still holding up. Running the cognito links up front on my 15 denali with a MaxxSuspension 2.75"F x 3"R lift. I think they'd work well on your 01 XL depending on the lower control arm. You'll need to make sure there's enough room for the clevis end to attach. You also want to be able to rotate the base of the clevis to match the angle of your front shock or the lower bushing will deform and fail pre-maturely.

These were my angles prior to swapping the CV's on the 05 and a photo of what the end links look I bought off evil bay. They're the 7" or +1 for 11-19 Silverado HD. They fit fine but I could have gone an inch shorter. You'll also want to make sure to add jounce spacers for the jounce stops to rest on as your truck sits on flat ground. I believe I went with 1" on the Tahoe but it's a Z71 and had the longer jounce stops. You might have to buy the longer stops and then add spacers..

IMG_20181103_184541.jpg

Thank standard size pitman & idler arm worked fine. Pretty sure I went cheap on these as well... and they've held of fine over the last 5 years, no issues:

IMG_20181028_201221.jpg
IMG_20181028_201357.jpg

Last edited:

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow your setup is looking robust, very nice. Are those the updated SSM sway bar links?

I just ordered these adjustable links (below), which have the pivoting mounting point, but looks like the fixed ones on yours have the sway bar pretty darn level. I'm only lifting 2.5" (max spec for the front Bilstein 5100 without shock extenders), so would like to get the sway bar geometry just right, and although these links are 8" at shortest length, I can trim down some if needed to dial them in perfectly (Cognito are 7" and Kryptonite are 7.5", which according to them is too short for 2.5" lift, so hoping this 8" link will be just right)

Which shocks are you running??

Energy 8-13 sway bay links.jpg

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully those will do the trick. The pivoting links make things feel a lot more stable. Anxious to see how those work out for ya.

Running 5100's all the way around on the 05.. the 01 slt is running nivomats with extensions.

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed I hope so too... I also scored some Rare Parts Extreme Duty tie rod ends and those extra articulating CV's on eBay (open box discount). I'll post photos once I get it buttoned up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN