Lock of rear door failed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to open my rear door or hatchback today but it failed. I can pull the handle but it will not unlock.

When i unlock the lock with the central locking, it feels like resistance, but it doesn't unlock. When i lock the car the lever has no resistance, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the central locking, but with the lock. Can I remove the inner lining when it is closed to get to the lock?

Does someone knows how?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to open my rear door or hatchback today but it failed. I can pull the handle but it will not unlock.

When i unlock the lock with the central locking, it feels like resistance, but it doesn't unlock. When i lock the car the lever has no resistance, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the central locking, but with the lock. Can I remove the inner lining when it is closed to get to the lock?

Does someone knows how?
look on the inside panel near where the locking mechanism/actuator should be located. on the gmt900 they made a dimple in the plastic as a mark for where to drill a small hole in the panel so the lock can be opened with a flat head screw driver. not sure if there is a dimple on the gmt800 panels or not.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here is a reference for the gmt900 dimple location, again not sure if the same applies to gmt800

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Does someone knows how?
I’m dealing with the exact same issue you’re dealing with on my 2006 Denali XL’s tailgate. It started as a once every three or 4 months the lock actuator wouldn’t move the latch and unlock the handle which also controls the glass release lock.

DO NOT DRILL ANY HOLES IN THE TAILGATE TRIM PIECES INSIDE THE TRUCK!! the trim pieces are literally secured to the tail gate via metal push clip style clasps that click into slots on the tailgate. You can gently pull them apart and the both will come undone. However with that being said there two trim panel fasteners beside where the glass hatches latches to the tailgate. That’s the tricky bit if you can’t get the glass or handle release open.

I’ll aloe a video and upload it shortly to show you what I’m taking about and what I think the fox needs to be. I replaced the lock actuator itself but intermittently since I did that last summer it still had been getting stuck. I didn’t know the lock actuator I had bought had a lifetime warranty on it until the loca Carquest store where I bought it said “yeah bring it to me I’ll swap you a new one.”

I think it’s still going to have the issue because the parts I’ll show in the video. My tailgate is already apart so it’ll be easy to show.

OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m dealing with the exact same issue you’re dealing with on my 2006 Denali XL’s tailgate. It started as a once every three or 4 months the lock actuator wouldn’t move the latch and unlock the handle which also controls the glass release lock.

DO NOT DRILL ANY HOLES IN THE TAILGATE TRIM PIECES INSIDE THE TRUCK!! the trim pieces are literally secured to the tail gate via metal push clip style clasps that click into slots on the tailgate. You can gently pull them apart and the both will come undone. However with that being said there two trim panel fasteners beside where the glass hatches latches to the tailgate. That’s the tricky bit if you can’t get the glass or handle release open.

I’ll aloe a video and upload it shortly to show you what I’m taking about and what I think the fox needs to be. I replaced the lock actuator itself but intermittently since I did that last summer it still had been getting stuck. I didn’t know the lock actuator I had bought had a lifetime warranty on it until the loca Carquest store where I bought it said “yeah bring it to me I’ll swap you a new one.”

I think it’s still going to have the issue because the parts I’ll show in the video. My tailgate is already apart so it’ll be easy to show.
That was very useful information and I will look today, if I can remove the plastic cover to come to the lock system.

I don't think that's the actuator in my case, because I can open the glass part without any problem.

Probably there is something between the lock and the hook.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was very useful information and I will look today, if I can remove the plastic cover to come to the lock system.

I don't think that's the actuator in my case, because I can open the glass part without any problem.

Probably there is something between the lock and the hook.
glass actuator is separate from hatch actuator.

OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glass actuator is separate from hatch actuator.
Good information as well. I feel that the actuator work, because the feel of the handle change when i lock and unlock the car with the remote control. But it don't unlock enough or something else sticks.
I will today remove the plastic cover and the look what the problem is.
Thank you both..

OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disassembled, what brought me more in love with this car. It was very easy to remove the cover and when I looked at the problem there was a strange part, which was stuck in the right lock.

It looks a bit like a half nut from an oak, but can be a piece of glue as well. Obviously it fell down and landed exactly in the lock...

Attachments

• 20230624_135803.JPG
    20230624_135803.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230624_135759.JPG
    20230624_135759.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, if someone else has a similar problem:

You can remove the plastic frame around the pane when you get in at the back. If you can open the pane, it's very easy. There are two plastic pins on the lock of the pane that have a pin in the middle, which can be pushed out from the back to the front. You can practically grab into the lock behind the dowel and push the middle part forward and then take out the dowel.

After that you can carefully pry the window frame out of the anchorages and basically remove it perpendicularly from the window to the rear.

You have enough space to remove it.

Then you can remove the bottom cover. To do this you have to remove a screw that is on the handle on the handle strap with which you can pull the tailgate down.

And then you can carefully pry off the panel and also pull it off the tailgate at right angles.

Then you have all the technology in front of you and depending on what is broken you can intervene accordingly.

There is one lock which holds the glass close and to locks on the bottom which holds the tailgate. You can reach behind the sheet metal and reach the locks. There you can press a lever which the Bowden cable normally operates.

You can then open the right and left lock individually. I saw that the lock screws are accessible from the inside. Should the lock fail completely, you can also unscrew this here.

I once did this repair on a Porsche Cabriolet, it was a so-called pain in the ass.

I am repeatedly confirmed that I have bought exactly the right car here.

i love this truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia