limited slip diff type?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a while I was misinformed as well, thinking it was a locker, but apparently it does have clutch packs, but it seems as though they are never under constant tension like a traditional limited slip is. It's probably a dumbed down limited slip to ensure that your average driver doesn't slide out on turns at speed due to having both rear wheels "locked" at all times like a traditional limited slip provides. Although the G80 performs better than "dumbed down," please excuse my verbiage.

My experience with Ford's 8.8 limited slip uses a SPRING to constantly tension the clutch packs, but then once they are locked the spring no longer is needed, that's apparently just used for initial break away when under low torque.
that's how I take it too, especially how there's a 2nd weight that over about 20mph it locks out the locker spinning part so you in theory have a clutch based locker from 0mph to about 20mph if one wheel spins faster than the other.

which sounds about right for a daily driver truck. if a truck rear end slid out 3in around a corner on power average driver would freak out, over correct and drive head on into something solid or other cars. so while this thing called a Gov-lok is a pretty good oem solution without needing electronics to control it. down side seems they are weak and break pretty easily compared to a true locker or Lsd used in cars.

sadly my transfer case fluid was black and lots of build up on that magnet too. makes me wonder how this yukon was used haha. drive train must have had a bit of a rough life. or these need more maintenance than just never do it haha.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's how I take it too, especially how there's a 2nd weight that over about 20mph it locks out the locker spinning part so you in theory have a clutch based locker from 0mph to about 20mph if one wheel spins faster than the other.

which sounds about right for a daily driver truck. if a truck rear end slid out 3in around a corner on power average driver would freak out, over correct and drive head on into something solid or other cars. so while this thing called a Gov-lok is a pretty good oem solution without needing electronics to control it. down side seems they are weak and break pretty easily compared to a true locker or Lsd used in cars.

sadly my transfer case fluid was black and lots of build up on that magnet too. makes me wonder how this yukon was used haha. drive train must have had a bit of a rough life. or these need more maintenance than just never do it haha.
If you have an "auto" transfer case then it too has clutches inside with clutch material that gets into the fluid.

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have an "auto" transfer case then it too has clutches inside with clutch material that gets into the fluid.

yep its an auto. car fax said it spend some time in Colorado, got me thinking they drove around in auto not 2wd like the manual recommends.

do you know if the clutches have metallic in them that would stick to a magnet

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep its an auto. car fax said it spend some time in Colorado, got me thinking they drove around in auto not 2wd like the manual recommends.

do you know if the clutches have metallic in them that would stick to a magnet
One of my acquaintances has a 2016 V6 Silverado and I notice his selector is always in auto mode.

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my acquaintances has a 2016 V6 Silverado and I notice his selector is always in auto mode.
If his owner's manual is anything like mine it specifically says not to drive around unnecessarily in auto. It's more for when you're on slick surfaces or off-road gravel and it needs to respond quickly to transfer torque to the front wheels but unnecessary wear and tear when driving around town on dry streets, that's how I understand it. At bare minimum stay on top of fluid changes often.

my fluid looked like black water and this was the magnet plug on mine, probably 140k never changed thou.

Attachments

• PXL_20230121_144830129.jpg
    PXL_20230121_144830129.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 5

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the transfer case needs overhaul after about 70K of straight Auto use. This is my figure based on previous posts across this and other forums of folks complaining of TC problems at around 60-70K miles where they left the TC in Auto all the time.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the transfer case needs overhaul after about 70K of straight Auto use. This is my figure based on previous posts across this and other forums of folks complaining of TC problems at around 60-70K miles where they left the TC in Auto all the time.
That seems low. In auto mode it's no different than any other full time all wheel drive car on the market. Some of the pre-2015 model GM SUVs were full time AWD and had no selectable 2 wheel drive option.

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my understanding it's completely different. awd cars use viscous coupling.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems low. In auto mode it's no different than any other full time all wheel drive car on the market. Some of the pre-2015 model GM SUVs were full time AWD and had no selectable 2 wheel drive option.
It's very different, the AWD transfer case is like having a 3rd center section to prevent wheel hop.

When in Auto the front axle and driveshaft are engaged and turning but the computer is waiting to decide how much power to transfer from the back to the front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firstcaddy