limited slip diff type?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone know what the name of this type of limit slip diff is? I'd like to look into rebuild kits, like clutches and stuff. but never seen one like this?

any idea who makes it for gm?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230121-110933.png
    Screenshot_20230121-110933.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone know what the name of this type of limit slip diff is? I'd like to look into rebuild kits, like clutches and stuff. but never seen one like this?

any idea who makes it for gm?
This axle is made by AAM (www.demandaam.com) and is a locking limited slip. It does both when one wheel begins to slip and that counterweight engages the other wheel when rpms differ by about 200.

Great system, very reliable but not made for drag racing or burnout competitions.

What kind of car is this in?

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This axle is made by AAM (www.demandaam.com) and is a locking limited slip. It does both when one wheel begins to slip and that counterweight engages the other wheel when rpms differ by about 200.

Great system, very reliable but not made for drag racing or burnout competitions.

What kind of car is this in?
it's in a 2011 yukon. I just changed diff fluid and never seen this type before. interesting. I usually do car stuff, that's probably why then.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's in a 2011 yukon. I just changed diff fluid and never seen this type before. interesting. I usually do car stuff, that's probably why then.
A regular Yukon and not a Denali, it will be in an 8.6" 10-bolt, very similar to the center section used in the Buick Grand National and an enlarged version of the 7.5" axle used in the Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Regal, Cutlass, etc.

That locking/limited slip feature was added to the truck axles around 1985.

Caddylack

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It's the Eaton G80 unit made for GM. They've been using it for decades and I wouldn't want a RWD/4wd GM truck/SUV without one.
Can you clarify this statement?

Obviously G80 doesn't refer to any specific part. That's just the RPO that tells you the vehicle doesn't have an open diff.

You're saying GM has been using that same diff for decades? In what?

Just for reference, the 1996 Impala SS had an Auburn "G80" that was crap. That's an 8.5" 10-bolt.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you clarify this statement?

Obviously G80 doesn't refer to any specific part. That's just the RPO that tells you the vehicle doesn't have an open diff.

You're saying GM has been using that same diff for decades? In what?

Just for reference, the 1996 Impala SS had an Auburn "G80" that was crap. That's an 8.5" 10-bolt.
Car G80 and truck G80 are different since about 1985.

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so it would seem it has cluch packs but it's called a locker, so it's not really meant to slip. so no limited slip additives needed. interesting. the fluid I used was for a Lsd haha

I guess the real question that I had but can't find is can it be rebuilt? mine has a tons of the metal goo on the magnetic and the gear set inside looked very sloppy. no noise or anything from the ring and pinion when driving. so that's left me wondering if these are just super sloppy because if all the mechanical stuff.

I'll let it ride and see how it goes, maybe change the fluid in a year or so and see if it's still leaving metal paste. I'm sure it hasn't been changed in the 140k miles that's on it. fluid didn't look to bad though. just more build up than I've ever seen in a rear end that wasn't blown up haha

Attachments

• PXL_20230121_160026175.jpg
    PXL_20230121_160026175.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 6

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so it would seem it has cluch packs but it's called a locker, so it's not really meant to slip. so no limited slip additives needed. interesting. the fluid I used was for a Lsd haha

I guess the real question that I had but can't find is can it be rebuilt? mine has a tons of the metal goo on the magnetic and the gear set inside looked very sloppy. no noise or anything from the ring and pinion when driving. so that's left me wondering if these are just super sloppy because if all the mechanical stuff.

I'll let it ride and see how it goes, maybe change the fluid in a year or so and see if it's still leaving metal paste. I'm sure it hasn't been changed in the 140k miles that's on it. fluid didn't look to bad though. just more build up than I've ever seen in a rear end that wasn't blown up haha

For a while I was misinformed as well, thinking it was a locker, but apparently it does have clutch packs, but it seems as though they are never under constant tension like a traditional limited slip is. It's probably a dumbed down limited slip to ensure that your average driver doesn't slide out on turns at speed due to having both rear wheels "locked" at all times like a traditional limited slip provides. Although the G80 performs better than "dumbed down," please excuse my verbiage.

My experience with Ford's 8.8 limited slip uses a Z-shaped SPRING to constantly tension the clutch packs, but then once they are locked the spring no longer is needed, that's apparently just used for initial break away when under low torque.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts