Limited slip additive or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I meant the G80 gov-lok used in trucks. Obviously G80 has been used to denote for posi and limited slip diffs as well.

I was under the impression everyone knew I was talking about our model year when the only option was for a gov-lok G80.

What's a gov-lock?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
You do realize that article stated what some of us have been saying- it functions as a limited-slip differential until low traction conditions cause it to fully lock. So in essence it IS a limited-slip as well as a full locking differential.

^^^
THIS.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess it's called MLocker now.

You do realize that article stated what some of us have been saying- it functions as a limited-slip differential until low traction conditions cause it to fully lock. So in essence it IS a limited-slip as well as a full locking differential.

^^^
THIS.

Right! That's the same type center section that's been used in our trucks since at least the GMT400s and probably earlier. That Eaton link also confirms what Mark is saying, it's a limited-slip and a locker.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Good info here. Didnt mean to say anyone was wrong here. Im just saying from my understanding of how the lockup ramp feature works...it is either engaged or not. sure the clutches can grab and chatter like an LS but that doesnt mean it works like a LS where progressive mounts of torque are transfered to the non slipping wheel. I'll read that article but I'm pretty sure about it unless things have changed in the last 10 years since owning a GMC Envoy and Sonoma with it. You learn something new everyday!

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what Eaton says in that article, so there's no confusion.

MLocker (G80) Operation

During normal driving conditions, the MLocker (G80) functions as a light-bias limited slip differential. When a low-traction situation occurs that causes a wheel speed difference greater than 100 RPM, a flyweight mechanism opens to engage a latching bracket. The stopped flyweight triggers a self-energizing clutch system, forcing a cam plate to ramp against a side gear. Cam plate ramping will continue to increase until both axles turn at the same speed (full lock), which prevents further wheel slip. When the need for improved traction is gone - unlocking occurs automatically and the differential resumes normal operation.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched this video again. It came out over 10 years ago.

It doesn't provide any help understanding what they are referring to as "light-bias LSD".

Does anybody know exactly what a "light-biased LSD" is? I've never heard of it.

The rest of the paragraph says (in a nutshell) that it locks up when wheel speed difference is greater than 100 rpm. There is no partial lockup.

When I had the G80 gov-lock in my Sonoma with the 4.3 liter v6 it locked up the rear very quick. I remember leaving more than a few black marks in the road with that truck.

I just don't see where it functions as a LSD aside from the slipping and grabbing of the clutch packs used for locking it up?

Last edited:

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G80 "locker" uses clutches. If you want smooth action use the additive, If you want maximum clutch life and maximum traction don't use it. In drag racing I've seen a stubborn guy repeatedly smoke the clutches in his 12 bolt Chevelle using the additive. After he was convinced to leave it out on the last rebuild he had no more issues.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G80 "locker" uses clutches. If you want smooth action use the additive, If you want maximum clutch life and maximum traction don't use it. In drag racing I've seen a stubborn guy repeatedly smoke the clutches in his 12 bolt Chevelle using the additive. After he was convinced to leave it out on the last rebuild he had no more issues.

Interesting, we used the factory additive in our 1980s Buicks and none of us ever had to rebuild our differentials until RWHP exceeded 550. We laid down miles and miles of twin stripes of black too! If I remember right, 2 or 2 1/2 of those little bottles did the trick and no chatter. Our G80s were 8.5" 10-Bolts and did not have the locking feature, just limited slip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts