Limited slip additive or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because you are adding chems not meant to be used in a g80??

Don't even mention limited slip, doesn't apply except towards creating more confusion, which is why the OP started the thread in the 1st place.

This post should be removed from the thread, entirely
NO because I used to drive like a crazed maniac 24/7 and broke stuff a lot, if it makes noise/binds then the additive resolves that issue, not everyone has a g80 or even uses one, the g80 is weak in my book anyway upgrade to a Detroit cost's more but wont break.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no controversy if you read the manual. The original part number in your manual is 12378261 and this has been superseded by 88900401 or AC Delco 10-4016.

This fluid contains the limited slip additive as does the Mobil One synthetic gear oil.

Don't even mention limited slip, doesn't apply except towards creating more confusion, which is why the OP started the thread in the 1st place.

Joe, could you elaborate on this comment? I'm not sure what you mean.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe he's saying that the g80 locking rear differential is NOT a limited slip differential, so the latter term should not be used when referring to the G80.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe he's saying that the g80 locking rear differential is NOT a limited slip differential, so the latter term should not be used when referring to the G80.

If so, he would be mistaken. The GMT800 and the GMT900 and the K2XX all have a differential with a limited slip function and a locking function. Details have been posted on this forum before and it can be read about in the GM Restoration files for each truck and in the shop manuals.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
If so, he would be mistaken. The GMT800 and the GMT900 and the K2XX all have a differential with a limited slip function and a locking function. Details have been posted on this forum before and it can be read about in the GM Restoration files for each truck and in the shop manuals.

No controversy on this one. ;)

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So the g80 is considered a limited slip differential that has a locking function?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the g80 is considered a limited slip differential that has a locking function?

Yessir. The G80 in my old 1980s Buick was a limited slip. I can see literature where the locking feature was added to trucks in the 1980s but have not looked into the history of that. So even the GMT400s could have it but I do not know as I have not looked.

Anyhow, here's a quick explanation on what it look likes and how it works:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Yessir. The G80 in my old 1980s Buick was a limited slip. I can see literature where the locking feature was added to trucks in the 1980s but have not looked into the history of that. So even the GMT400s could have it but I do not know as I have not looked.

Yes. The GMT400 had it.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I love this site. Learn something new every time. I just hope my yuk lasts long enough for me to put that learning to use. (185k with pretty prominent piston slap, or is it rod knock?) :(

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watched the video and looked like just a regular locking rear carrier, nothing limited slip about it.

Either locked or open.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT