Limited slip additive or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watched the video and looked like just a regular locking rear carrier, nothing limited slip about it.

The purpose of the video was to explain the locking feature of the differential, not the limited slip feature. Alternatively, you can read about how each feature functions in the Restoration Kits and the Shop Manuals.

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understood the G81 was locking with the governor in it and the G80 is limited slip (no governor locking device in it)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The G80 is a limited slip differential that locks under certain conditions. It is made by Eaton and is nicknamed the Eaton "locker".
this ^^^^ . Use either Royal Purple or Mobil 1 Synthetic and you're good to go. They both meet the GM specs for these. I went with Mobil 1 and no problems for me.

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If so, he would be mistaken. The GMT800 and the GMT900 and the K2XX all have a differential with a limited slip function and a locking function. Details have been posted on this forum before and it can be read about in the GM Restoration files for each truck and in the shop manuals.

I’d like to read them, can you point me in that direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d like to read them, can you point me in that direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html

Click on Suburban or Tahoe and select 2007 and maybe 2005 and some other years. Not all are as detailed as others. But it is in the 2007 for certain. As for the shop manual, you can get that via a subscription to AllDataDIY and or through SeriousCTBuyer on ebay in .pdf form in either a download or disc. I like having both.

OP
OP
chauncey0337

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I have not added the additive and don't think I will. Drove it 200 miles round trip and no noises. So I think I'm good. Thanks for all your replies and info. I've been on this site for 7 years and still learning new things.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add limited slip additive or not? 2000 5.3l Rear diff code G80. Just serviced mine. I've heard mixed opinions but not a whole lot of facts. Fill me in.

From my experience ...it's doesn't matter at all. For instance Mobile1 75W-90 already has LS additive in it which doesn't hurt a non-ls diff. The G80 is a locking differential and is either engaged or not. It isn't a limited slip.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do folks get this information?

Sorry. I meant the G80 gov-lok used in trucks. Obviously G80 has been used to denote for posi and limited slip diffs as well.

I was under the impression everyone knew I was talking about our model year when the only option was for a gov-lok G80.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts