Lifters noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Ebay, 300 dlls . Not original. The oddnes is that when I start cold there is no noise.
Hmmm...Where were the parts made?

What are the cam specs and did the kit come with pushrods?

Also, pop the valve covers off and turn the engine over by hand to see if anything looks "off" when each of the rocker arms open and close the valves.

OP
OP
Faustof

Faustof

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hmmm...Where were the parts made?

Also, pop the valve covers off and turn the engine over by hand to see if anything looks "off" when each of the rocker arms open and close the valves.
USA. Will tell the mechanic

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To my ear, you have one lifter that’s knocking pretty good - both on initial startup for a few seconds, and also when warm. The fact that it doesn’t do it while the engine warms up makes me suspect that you have a lifter that is either bleeding down too quickly or not pressurizing fully as the oil warms up and its viscosity drops.

If I’m right, then unfortunately those lifters will need to come out again before it damages the cam.

If you take them out, replace them with either GM LS7 lifters or Morel 7717. I believe that Melling is the OEM manufacturer of GM’s lifters so you may find a set of those for a reasonable cost as well. Most important of all, throw those eBay lifter trays in the trash and replace them with genuine GM trays only. The cheap trays won’t hold the lifters firmly enough:

TNBob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I have an 2007 Tahoe with 180,000 miles. As common I had a lifter/cam issue. I perform the AFM Delete (change all 16 normal lifters and regular camshaft and re-program to dissconect the AFM on the computer).

I been having low pressure problems . I already change the oil pump and double checked the O ring on the pump.

When is cold the pressure goes over 40 (normal) and the engine sounds great. But when it warms up the oil drops under 20 and the lifters start to make noise.

Any help will be appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts