Lifters noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@NickTransmissions Can the valves on these motors be adjusted?
You adjust them initially to complete the long block or when putting heads/valve train, etc back on. Its not like a solid roller or flat tapper cam where lash has to be periodically maintained but hydrauic pushrods / lifters can occassionally come out of adjustment but admittedly its rare.

I suggested it as the noise sounds like out of adjustment valves or lifter noise (failing lifter). If there's no valves out of adjustment then he's taking the heads off to replace the lifters (unless we're hearing rod knock or some other bottom end noise but doesnt sound like that to me)

OP
OP
Faustof

Faustof

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I change the lifters and camshaft, the heads and valves were machined and settled.

OP
OP
Faustof

Faustof

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do You think that I Should I change the knock sensor? Do you think it could be the problem?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, for My English. Means that since I took heads off, I did send them rectified and the valves too
Did you:

- replace the lifters and trays?

- adjust the valves once you put the heads, pushrods and rocker arms back on?

Also, replacing the knock sensors on these engines is standard fare for whenever you have to pull the plenium for any reason and if they have never been replaced. Not saying it's your problem, its more of a preventative maintenance measure to ensure they dont become one.

OP
OP
Faustof

Faustof

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you:

- replace the lifters and trays?

- adjust the valves once you put the heads, pushrods and rocker arms back on?

Also, replacing the knock sensors on these engines is standard fare for whenever you have to pull the plenium for any reason and if they have never been replaced. Not saying it's your problem, its more of a preventative maintenance measure to ensure they dont become one.
Yes, the kit I bought came with lifters, camshaft, trays, but I didn't change the knock sensor. Yes we adjust the valves .

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the kit I bought came with lifters, camshaft, trays, but I didn't change the knock sensor. Yes we adjust the valves .
Got it. Listened to your video again, def sounds like pass side perhaps either #2 or #4.

How long ago was the work done?

Have you done a compression test yet?

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Faustof Your problem sounds mechanical, a knock sensor wouldn’t help.

Do you have a link to the kit you bought? I think at the very least new lifters and lifter trays from a reputable brand would be the first thing that comes to my mind but that’s basically throwing money at it.

Maybe take your valve covers off and see if the rockers have any play in them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia