Lifters noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Faustof

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I have an 2007 Tahoe with 180,000 miles. As common I had a lifter/cam issue. I perform the AFM Delete (change all 16 normal lifters and regular camshaft and re-program to dissconect the AFM on the computer).

I been having low pressure problems . I already change the oil pump and double checked the O ring on the pump.

When is cold the pressure goes over 40 (normal) and the engine sounds great. But when it warms up the oil drops under 20 and the lifters start to make noise.

Any help will be appreciated.

OP
OP
Faustof

Faustof

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Faustof Which oil pump did you use? Also what is the exact oil pressure reading you are getting?
I bought the one for that year and model at the parts store(I guess hi pressure as the original). when cold it goes over 40 (45 I guess) and sounds great. Aftr a little while , once the engine is hot, it drops below 20 and the lifters start to make noise. Thanks on advance

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Faustof I am interested in the exact model of oil pump you used, but what you are describing doesn't sound bad. If you've ever listened to a brand new Dodge Hemi 5.7 you will know that it can be normal for lifters to make a slight sewing machine type sound at idle.

It might be helpful for you to take a detailed video of the problem to get an idea of what you are hearing. From your description I don't see anything to be concerned about, at idle I have about 20psi oil pressure and my lifters are clicky clacking away happily.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the changeover what oil weight are you now using? With that mileage the engine is getting nice and loose, could go with a some heavier weight than when it was new.

OP
OP
Faustof

Faustof

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
With the changeover what oil weight are you now using? With that mileage the engine is getting nice and loose, could go with a some heavier weight than when it was new.
Yes , the owners manual says 10w30 syntetic. We went mineral 20w50 ...

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20 psi at idle hot is well within spec and actually pretty good.

when you say local auto parts store oil pump does that mean auto parts store lifters? I have a feeling what your hearing isn't low oil pressure related.

OP
OP
Faustof

Faustof

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought the lifters and the camshaft on ebay, but after market. Not AC Delco
20 psi at idle hot is well within spec and actually pretty good.

when you say local auto parts store oil pump does that mean auto parts store lifters? I have a feeling what your hearing isn't low oil pressure related.

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did the kit come with pushrods? are they the correct length? so many things can cause lifters to be loud. its is probably fine, but might not be. hard to say with all the variables in parts and stuff.

OP
OP
Faustof

Faustof

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
did the kit come with pushrods? are they the correct length? so many things can cause lifters to be loud. its is probably fine, but might not be. hard to say with all the variables in parts and stuff.
Yes, it came with pushrods, camshaft and gaskets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10