Lifter ticking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliJJ

Reaction score
Mine has around 1000 on the oil change and so far so good. The pressure is 45 on start up(45-50 degree outside) after running and warmed up 20 mins or so it will sit at around 35-30 depending on how warm it is outside. When I give it gas it instantly jumps up to past 45 and sometimes I’ll hit past 60 if I’m gunning it to get on the highway. Now if I could just figure out why the psi likes to fluctuate 5 psi and raise back up again every now and again I’d be set

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pressure slowly dropped off as suggested it would above. I did as suggested and changed only the filter. Pressure instantly jumped back up and then slowly dropped again but at a slower rate. Took about 500 miles first time and 1500 miles the second time and changed the filter again and that was about 1000 miles ago and it hasn’t dropped yet. I’m changing the oil this weekend. So I’ll just keep rolling and keeping an eye out for a lightly used 6.0

I heard that. No ticking/tapping noise still though?

DenaliJJ

Reaction score
Just at initial start up for maybe 30 secs to a min. Had the gm shop here say it could be a lifter but they would venture to say its piston slap. Who knows. All I know is it goes away. If it was constant I would be pulling heads for sure

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard that. No ticking/tapping noise still though?

No Ticking at all so thats a good thing.

Just at initial start up for maybe 30 secs to a min. Had the gm shop here say it could be a lifter but they would venture to say its piston slap. Who knows. All I know is it goes away. If it was constant I would be pulling heads for sure

oil pressure shouldnt drop off like that after being warmed up. I would spend $10 and change thge filter again and so every 1000 miles or so for about 5000 miles then another oil change.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Ticking at all so thats a good thing.

oil pressure shouldnt drop off like that after being warmed up. I would spend $10 and change thge filter again and so every 1000 miles or so for about 5000 miles then another oil change.

The dealer told me the oil pressure can vary. I notice it varies with engine speed and load. When the engine is cold, the idle RPM will be higher which will result in higher oil pressure. Once the engine warms up, the RPM will drop, and the oil pressure with it.

Since using Valvoline synthetic, and pulling a trailer up the Coquihalla (a long tough climb involving 10-12% grades), much of my startup noise is gone.

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer told me the oil pressure can vary. I notice it varies with engine speed and load. When the engine is cold, the idle RPM will be higher which will result in higher oil pressure. Once the engine warms up, the RPM will drop, and the oil pressure with it.

Since using Valvoline synthetic, and pulling a trailer up the Coquihalla (a long tough climb involving 10-12% grades), much of my startup noise is gone.

Hmm my pressure stays fairy steady when cold and warm just varies with rpm

DenaliJJ

Reaction score
Well I think I found the source of the noise. I checked over everything today and decided to double check the exhaust manifolds. Turns out I’m missing the bolt closest to firewall on drivers side

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think I found the source of the noise. I checked over everything today and decided to double check the exhaust manifolds. Turns out I’m missing the bolt closest to firewall on drivers side

Mine is also missing but doesn’t make a sound. Hopefully that’s your problem. Easy fix

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
him__chase