Lifter tick ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been noticing lately that when on start up I hear the dreaded lifter tick.

I'd say within the last year I've heard it more during the cold weather and it would only last seconds, not even a minute. Rarely during the summer months.

Now(within the last 3 or so months), its seems to be happening more often and for a lot longer, at least a couple of minutes.

Seeing that it does go away relatively quick, I'm hoping I don't have to start worrying.

Cant really say I'm prepared for a DOD delete right now but am hoping it'll survive a few more months.

Is this a crap shoot or what? What should I do?

Sucks because I just got the last of my parts for my exhaust and I wasn't expecting this to be happening so often.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I used to have lifter ticking after it was up to temp and if I left it idling for more than 10-15 mins. I noticed if I changed the oil filter it would go away for a while but would come back. I ended up replacing the oil pump with a HV/HP pump and the ticking went away. Before replacing the pump my hot idle pressure was around 20-25 psi.

You could also try running some Kreen in the oil to clean everything up real good and see if that helps.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have lifter ticking after it was up to temp and if I left it idling for more than 10-15 mins. I noticed if I changed the oil filter it would go away for a while but would come back. I ended up replacing the oil pump with a HV/HP pump and the ticking went away. Before replacing the pump my hot idle pressure was around 20-25 psi.

You could also try running some Kreen in the oil to clean everything up real good and see if that helps.

I'm going to check the oil after work when it cools down. I'll look at the oil life gauge and see where I'm at there as well, been pretty religious about changing my oil. May have to start doing it more often.
After I change my oil, I'll see how it goes. Then I'll give the additive a try.

99, how many miles?

214k a lot hahaha
Runs great though, other than the tick at start up.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I'm going to check the oil after work when it cools down. I'll look at the oil life gauge and see where I'm at there as well, been pretty religious about changing my oil. May have to start doing it more often.
After I change my oil, I'll see how it goes. Then I'll give the additive a try.

214k a lot hahaha
Runs great though, other than the tick at start up.

Kreen is an excellent product. You put it in and run it for 1k miles and then change your oil and filter. You will be shocked at how much darker the oil comes out after the Kreen.

I run Mobil 1 full synthetic since I bought mine but it had 150k on the clock when I bought it so I'm not sure if synthetic was used prior. It has 206k miles now.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kreen is an excellent product. You put it in and run it for 1k miles and then change your oil and filter. You will be shocked at how much darker the oil comes out after the Kreen.

I run Mobil 1 full synthetic since I bought mine but it had 150k on the clock when I bought it so I'm not sure if synthetic was used prior. It has 206k miles now.

I will go get some after work and throw it in and plan on changing my oil in two weeks. That's the crappy part about working 2.5 miles from the house. It takes forever to put miles on hahaha.

I use the same. Not sure what was used prior as well. I'd assume so being a state vehicle but you know what happens when you assume :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645