LED headlights in stock housings - My Install and feedback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to have any pics of the halogens up against your garage?
I just took out my led bulbs and bought a set of 100watt and a set of 80watt HELLA halogen bulbs because everyone was saying how badass they were and super bright.I’ve put them in and turn them on and couldn’t help but to laugh they were probably worse than the factory bulb I took them right back out and send them back and get my money in return

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When these guys talk about retrofit.... What the **** do they even mean? LOL and what’s the point

sanco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks great on pics but is it a pure white light or a foggy/blueish LED light. sorry I don't know how else to explain it. My biggest issue is that with some of these retrofits the light output is foggy I guess you can say. The OEM ones are very crisp in comparison.

Just wondering on that color output.

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do these have the adjustable collar???

My Supernova V3's do not.
I can check the documentation that came with it, I'm not sure.
When these guys talk about retrofit.... What the **** do they even mean? LOL and what’s the point
Not picking on you, don't take this the wrong way. But you mentioned replacing your stock bulbs and being disappointed. A retrofit that you see folks referring to is taking an aftermarket projector housing (the Morimoto I used was the size of my fist) and modifying the stock headlight to make it work. Check my thread where I tried this and ran out of patience with lack of adjustment.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/2010-tahoe-hid-retrofit-installation-thread.99033/

looks great on pics but is it a pure white light or a foggy/blueish LED light. sorry I don't know how else to explain it. My biggest issue is that with some of these retrofits the light output is foggy I guess you can say. The OEM ones are very crisp in comparison.

Just wondering on that color output.
It is white, and I mean WHITE. From every angle I've looked at it from the outside and from driving it, there is no hint of blue. I was actually a bit concerned about this as well, but the temperature rating seems pretty accurate on these.

sanco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm I might look into this, I've been thinking about either researching for a decent set of bulbs or just ripping apart the housing and doing like an led retrofit using some jeep parts

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also looking at these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BT6M6...cfd7c39b45e5d0da7ec37f376598fd&language=en_US

With some of the reviews I've watched they are saying these are a bit better.
I'd be interested to hear feedback if you go with them.
Hmmmmmm I might look into this, I've been thinking about either researching for a decent set of bulbs or just ripping apart the housing and doing like an led retrofit using some jeep parts
Some food for thought on this topic: I tried 2 sets of headlights, so 2 full rounds of splitting a headlight pair and getting alignment right. The first set I did, I set up the projectors absolutely square. In my HID retrofit thread, I documented well with photos. I actually drilled out the H11 bulb socket to accommodate the threaded end of the projector, so I drilled right into the conical collar that surrounded that H11 socket. That is how I know I was absolutely square with the install of the projector. Turns out the projectors already aim much lower than the stock reflected halogen setup, so my lights were so low they couldn't be adjusted up high enough to be useful. That crippling factor again, the lack of good adjustment in the stock headlights.

My second set of headlights, I drilled through the H11 socket with much more of an angle, what I thought would put me in a good position to adjust appropriately. Turns out I went too far, as I am surprised I wasn't distracting aircraft or sending signals to the International Space Station. At that point I had some folks on here trying to help, as they had been there before. The only way to get the projectors perfected would be to JB Weld them into place. This is when I lost my drive to finish the projector, and landed me where I am.

These LED's are nothing compared to a true HID/Xenon setup with quality projectors and components. I will be up front and honest about that. I just couldn't bring myself to "hack" it together with JB Weld, its kind of against my own pride to use that crap......guess that is what turning wrenches for a living for 15 years did to me. :)

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously not as good as HID but better output than halogen right?

sanco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, I was thinking more along the lines of getting a jeep led headlight And trying to make it work in our housing, but then again if I'm doing all that then why not hid instead...sigh... decisions decisions. Your write ups are great btw!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505