LED headlights in stock housings - My Install and feedback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look good but should have brought a case of beer to the house and I would of fixed that retrofit
I just couldn't bring myself to the JB Weld. I appreciate the offer though!
Just curious as to why you chose the CREEs and not the Philips, also from HIKARI?

Don't get me wrong, what you've got going on there looks wicked for sure!
No particular reason other than reviews.
Well I guess I'm a retarded because i still dont get it. Why is putting a projector housing inside the stock Tahoe headlight housing considered retro? And you are right I was definitely disappointed when I switched out my LED bulbs for the Hella 100w light bulbs. I thought the 100w was going to be really bright and it was pathetic. What I ended up doing for now was I took the headlight that I had in the running lights and installed it into the high beam part of the headlight. I just had to grind a little bit on the hole where the light goes through into the housing. They are really bright now!
I think @iamdub cleared up where you might get the wording mixed up. :)
"Retro" in this sense doesn't mean "styled from the past". It's short for "retrofitting" because you are retrofitting the (new) projectors into stock (older) housings.

It's good that you didn't keep those 100W bulbs in the housing cuz it could have melted things. The factory wiring isn't suited to support 100W bulbs, anyway. It's barely adequate, if even adequate at all, to support the stock headlights.

Osorry for this. I have been reading this and from bouncing around from light to light. What did u finally go with and where do I find it. Thanks
Links are in my original post.
Just my 2 cents worth on this LED headlight conversion. I purchased a set of LED's for my low beams, bought the ones with "NO" cooling fan (heatsink, just my preference, GENSSI Elite LED Bulb Headlight Lamp Upgrade Low Kit For Chevy Tahoe 2007-2017) and were totally adjustable in rotation (another plus) once locked into the headlight housing which proved to be very important after all was said and done. Best beam pattern I've found was when the 2 sided LED's face horizontal, not vertical as that will get you flashed by oncoming drivers. Happy as hell with mine and wouldn't go back to anything else.
These face out horizontally. TBH I don't even know if they are adjustable at all, but I just had to drop the right side down a hair and I have been good. :)

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents worth on this LED headlight conversion. I purchased a set of LED's for my low beams, bought the ones with "NO" cooling fan (heatsink, just my preference, GENSSI Elite LED Bulb Headlight Lamp Upgrade Low Kit For Chevy Tahoe 2007-2017) and were totally adjustable in rotation (another plus) once locked into the headlight housing which proved to be very important after all was said and done. Best beam pattern I've found was when the 2 sided LED's face horizontal, not vertical as that will get you flashed by oncoming drivers. Happy as hell with mine and wouldn't go back to anything else.
Do you have any wall pics?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yes they definitely got hot! As far as the Harness goes I had purchased The ceramic ones especially for those bulbs. I still cannot believe how door they were man. I had it backed up in my driveway facing my neighbors house and when I turned them on you could barely see the tingy Yellow marks on his garage door from them

The ceramic plugs are good for the heat if you were actually getting it to the bulb. But the wiring itself doesn't carry enough current to feed even the OEM 55W bulbs the voltage they need to put out their rated 55W of light. A 100W bulb, requiring more current, is going to be even more dim. You were probably getting 40W of output from them. You could power them with a relay harness to get full voltage to them, but then you'd have that 100W of heat to bake the housings. So it's actually a good thing that you didn't power them off a relay harness because that money was much better spent on LEDs rather than new housings.

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
Here is the real question. Do the LED head lights work with the sound off system? That system allows the head lights to wig wag back and forth.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the real question. Do the LED head lights work with the sound off system? That system allows the head lights to wig wag back and forth.
The BluePrint?

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it'll work. The BluePrint system works off of the vehicle's computer system. So the Blueprint sends a signal to the vehicle's computer which then sends a signal to turn off/on/off/on.... But this is done for the highbeams. Even if you had just a regular headlight flasher (wig/wag), same concept. Instead of sending a signal to the computer it's just hardwired to the headlight harness. It will just cut the power off making it flash on/off/on/off...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz

Latest posts