Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
My stockers have lasted 16 years, just saying. I doubt anyone can make any that last longer, but even so 10-15 years for plastic that has hot fluid flowing through is pretty damn good.

I am shocked and amazed that they have lasted that long. Not to jinx you but my guess is that you are on borrowed time.

I have replaced mine twice in the past 3-4 years. Not sure if they were original or not since I bought used.

Once I was pulling a motorcycle trailer up the side of a mountain, 2 lane road with no shoulder. One of the connectors broke clean off and dumped all the coolant out of the engine. I had to drive about 1/4-1/2 mile to get to a wide spot where I bypassed the heater core and filled the cooling system from melted ice in my cooler.

Then I replaced again within the past year because of it cracking and leaking.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am shocked and amazed that they have lasted that long. Not to jinx you but my guess is that you are on borrowed time.

I have replaced mine twice in the past 3-4 years. Not sure if they were original or not since I bought used.

Once I was pulling a motorcycle trailer up the side of a mountain, 2 lane road with no shoulder. One of the connectors broke clean off and dumped all the coolant out of the engine. I had to drive about 1/4-1/2 mile to get to a wide spot where I bypassed the heater core and filled the cooling system from melted ice in my cooler.

Then I replaced again within the past year because of it cracking and leaking.
I have replacements ready to go in. I bought OEM replacements. I’m guessing the ones you put in were Dorman or other aftermarket?

kbuskill

Reaction score
I have replacements ready to go in. I bought OEM replacements. I’m guessing the ones you put in were Dorman or other aftermarket?

I believe they were Dorman but can't remember off the top of my head. They always go out when you don't have access to OEM parts it seems.

Not everyone has a set of OEMs just laying around... lol

I realize these won't be for everyone, and that's ok. I just wanted to let everyone that might be interested in a more permanent solution know that they are in the works.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
My stockers have lasted 16 years, just saying. I doubt anyone can make any that last longer, but even so 10-15 years for plastic that has hot fluid flowing through is pretty damn good.

Mine too as far as I know. But they are a common failure point, and will certainly last longer if they're brass, that's for sure.

I believe they were Dorman but can't remember off the top of my head. They always go out when you don't have access to OEM parts it seems.

Not everyone has a set of OEMs just laying around... lol

I realize these won't be for everyone, and that's ok. I just wanted to let everyone that might be interested in a more permanent solution know that they are in the works.

On my list of preventative items. I was very interested when I saw your other post. I'll be watching to see what he does for them.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Mine too as far as I know. But they are a common failure point, and will certainly last longer if they're brass, that's for sure.

On my list of preventative items. I was very interested when I saw your other post. I'll be watching to see what he does for them.

Just FYI... I was thinking brass originally myself and then he said Billet aluminum.

After thinking about it, the T-connectors being made of aluminum is probably better anyway because it's less likely to have corrosion issues.

When you have dissimilar metals in the same system that water is running through there is always the potential for corrosion due to electrolysis.

I realize that the engine block, at least in my truck, is steel/cast iron and the heads and radiator are aluminum. But in my opinion it is better to only have two differing metals rather than adding a third (brass) into the mix. I guess for guys that may have the all aluminum engine it would be a total non issue.

Sorry to go on the long rant... just how my mind works sometimes... lol

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Just FYI... I was thinking brass originally myself and then he said Billet aluminum.

After thinking about it, the T-connectors being made of aluminum is probably better anyway because it's less likely to have corrosion issues.

When you have dissimilar metals in the same system that water is running through there is always the potential for corrosion due to electrolysis.

I realize that the engine block, at least in my truck, is steel/cast iron and the heads and radiator are aluminum. But in my opinion it is better to only have two differing metals rather than adding a third (brass) into the mix. I guess for guys that may have the all aluminum engine it would be a total non issue.

Aluminum would be just fine. Easier for him to make than brass, as well.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now aluminum...never thought of that, I was thinking they were going to be a “better” plastic. I am interested in that, especially for The Beast since mine are difficult to access due to the blower. That’s the reason the new parts are still in my tool box. I know, first world problems lol.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Now aluminum...never thought of that, I was thinking they were going to be a “better” plastic. I am interested in that, especially for The Beast since mine are difficult to access due to the blower. That’s the reason the new parts are still in my tool box. I know, first world problems lol.

I guess I should have been more clear. I just assumed since Gruven is known for taking crappy plastic parts and turning them into metal parts that last forever essentially that it was a given.

You know what assuming does...

It makes one out of me at the very least... lol

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have been more clear. I just assumed since Gruven is known for taking crappy plastic parts and turning them into metal parts that last forever essentially that it was a given.

You know what assuming does...

It makes one out of me at the very least... lol
Not familiar with them, I have a slight recollection about folding mirror parts but I have no functioning power fold mirrors. I do have some on my Silverado but I found out it would take an act of God to make them work.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Not familiar with them, I have a slight recollection about folding mirror parts but I have no functioning power fold mirrors. I do have some on my Silverado but I found out it would take an act of God to make them work.

Well to familiarize you, and anyone else who may not be familiar, with them here are a couple of products they offer for our trucks...

Original plastic mirror gear on left... Gruven brass gear on right.rps20180929_132701_578.jpg

They also make these cool inserts for the door handles that are prone to breaking... especially if you have kids hanging on them.
rps20180929_132925.jpg
rps20180929_132958_133.jpg

It fixes this problem...
rps20180929_133105_574.jpg

They also sell upgraded heavy duty motors for the folding mirrors, which I installed when I did my mirror gears, and they sell HD door lock actuator motors for our trucks as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900