Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Its not a HUGE job, but it is time consuming. Problem being, once you get it out, you need to Evac / Recharge your A/C... so its difficult to do that at home. The actual process of replacing the rear core isnt bad, just the extra stuff.

OP
OP
bigdaddyyukon

bigdaddyyukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Agree with @Rocket Man. Does your rear AC work? If not, may be freon leak. Smell it, if it smells sweet, its antifreeze. But looks like condensation from the drain.

Funny you mentioned about the rear ac.... its Not cooling...

Last edited:

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Freon is green and youd see it on the AC lines along the framerail leaking. My 07 had a leak back there and I had to replace the lines. Gigantic pain in the ass to splice the new lines in, and my core was so rotted from rust at the connections I had to replace that too. They do make a block off kit for the rear AC lines if you didnt want to fix it right now. But if memory serves right, if you dont have working rear AC, the front shouldn't be cooling either. Its all one loop.

OP
OP
bigdaddyyukon

bigdaddyyukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Freon is green and youd see it on the AC lines along the framerail leaking. My 07 had a leak back there and I had to replace the lines. Gigantic pain in the ass to splice the new lines in, and my core was so rotted from rust at the connections I had to replace that too. They do make a block off kit for the rear AC lines if you didnt want to fix it right now. But if memory serves right, if you dont have working rear AC, the front shouldn't be cooling either. Its all one loop.

Well I believe the front is cooling. Again. I hope it's not the heater core, as of right now i can live without the rear ac. Again. Catching it will definitely tell me..

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Gotcha, so it don't necessarily have to leak inside? It could be leaking out that tube and still be the heater core? I take it, it's very costly to replace on these trucks..

Correct.
Yes.

The heater core itself is relatively cheap. The labor involved is what makes it expensive.

The dash board has to be removed in order to get to it and then you hope the dash doesn't crack/break during the removal and reinstallation process. If it does and you decide to replace it, there is another $600+ on top of the bill.

Definitely catch the leak in a bowl to be sure of what your dealing with.

Freon is a clear gas BTW... if it was green on your A/C lines that is a UV dye that is added into the system to detect a leak. Lots of Freon cans will have stop leak and dye both added to them, read the cans carefully.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Correct.
Yes.

The heater core itself is relatively cheap. The labor involved is what makes it expensive.

The dash board has to be removed in order to get to it and then you hope the dash doesn't crack/break during the removal and reinstallation process. If it does and you decide to replace it, there is another $600+ on top of the bill.

Definitely catch the leak in a bowl to be sure of what your dealing with.

Freon is a clear gas BTW... if it was green on your A/C lines that is a UV dye that is added into the system to detect a leak. Lots of Freon cans will have stop leak and dye both added to them, read the cans carefully.
In a bowl with a few white paper towels.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that to me looks like just regular condensation and not all that much really mine will pour out more than that almost any day, I would recommend first determining if you are in fact loosing any coolant, has the reservoir level decreased? rear a/c not cooling could simply be a bad rear vent actuator that is behind the passenger rear kick panel where the rear hvac unit is contained

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simply drive a few times WITHOUT the AC on. That will eliminate or validate condensation or coolant.

The front ac can work fine with the rear not working if the rear expansion valve is not working.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks more like transmission, power steering fluid or possibly brake fluid.
Time to get it on a lift or crawl underneath and take a look. It may be dripping somewhere and traveling down a line, frame or wire harness, then dripping on the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900