Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I posted this in the other thread found here...
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/gruven-heater-core-t-connectors.107087/

Just got an email from Gruven. He is asking for some input to see what kind of interest there is in these. Here is the content of the email...

Ken,

The only real way we can make this is as machined/tig welded 6061-T651 aluminum Y tube and include 2 short lengths of coolant hoses with hose clamps to allow it to be attached to existing hard lines via coolant hose. Cost likely $69.99 ea lead time 2-3 weeks. We need 10 orders.

Can you post this info with instruction to just email me directly to get on the buy list ?

I will also get some screen shots of the design as well soon.

We need some input/assurance from potential buyers on this. I realize OEM part cost is like $10 so we need to be sure people aren’t just going to buy 7 of the plastic parts and replace them on side of road each time they break. Sounds like a huge pain to me but I know money is always tight so we have to be respectful of what people are willing to pay to end this problem once and for all.

To build the part as per OEM, it would cost hundreds of dollars, and would require injection molding tooling to make the white plastic inserts. Then you would still have a plastic insert in there so it would only be as strong as whatever that was.

Paul

www.GruvenParts.com

https://www.facebook.com/GruvenParts/

So there it is ladies and gentlemen. Please email him directly at...

[email protected]

Also if you do email him please post in here so we can keep a tally of how many we have/need.

Just thought I would post it here as well since there was discussion about it here.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with @Rocket Man. Does your rear AC work? If not, may be freon leak. Smell it, if it smells sweet, its antifreeze. But looks like condensation from the drain.
You know Freon boils at -14F? Doubt it is Freon unless he lives in a frigid area.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the other thread found here...
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/gruven-heater-core-t-connectors.107087/

Just got an email from Gruven. He is asking for some input to see what kind of interest there is in these. Here is the content of the email...

Ken,

The only real way we can make this is as machined/tig welded 6061-T651 aluminum Y tube and include 2 short lengths of coolant hoses with hose clamps to allow it to be attached to existing hard lines via coolant hose. Cost likely $69.99 ea lead time 2-3 weeks. We need 10 orders.

Can you post this info with instruction to just email me directly to get on the buy list ?

I will also get some screen shots of the design as well soon.

We need some input/assurance from potential buyers on this. I realize OEM part cost is like $10 so we need to be sure people aren’t just going to buy 7 of the plastic parts and replace them on side of road each time they break. Sounds like a huge pain to me but I know money is always tight so we have to be respectful of what people are willing to pay to end this problem once and for all.

To build the part as per OEM, it would cost hundreds of dollars, and would require injection molding tooling to make the white plastic inserts. Then you would still have a plastic insert in there so it would only be as strong as whatever that was.

Paul

www.GruvenParts.com

https://www.facebook.com/GruvenParts/

So there it is ladies and gentlemen. Please email him directly at...

[email protected]

Also if you do email him please post in here so we can keep a tally of how many we have/need.

Just thought I would post it here as well since there was discussion about it here.
$70 for an aluminum y pipe that you need to use 3 pieces of coolant hose and 6 clamps? Doesn’t sound like a viable option to me. There’s already y pipes out there that you can do the same thing with for way less. My thoughts anyway.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
$70 for an aluminum y pipe that you need to use 3 pieces of coolant hose and 6 clamps? Doesn’t sound like a viable option to me. There’s already y pipes out there that you can do the same thing with for way less. My thoughts anyway.

It would be 2 additional pieces of hose and 4 additional clamps (5 clamps total) but your point is well taken.

From my perspective I know that I could probably piece some brass fittings together and make it work.

A T fitting with a 3/4" barb threaded into opposing ends and then a reducer and a 5/8" barbed fitting threaded into the side would accomplish essentially the same thing but it is my belief that it may get a bit bulky once it is all pieced together.

Also all of the threaded pieces are potential points to leak and then on top of that you are adding brass into the electrolysis equation.

I would have much rather seen a quick connect solution like the original parts but I also understand the problems from a manufacturing cost VS profitability stand point.

Again this may not be for everyone. That is why I posted this here. I enjoy seeing new parts come to market for our rigs and it's nice when you have a company that is willing to try new things to see if it will work. I also enjoy buying from a company that is based in the USA any chance I get.

Maybe with some luck there will be enough interest to bring this to market and perhaps the price might come down, I don't know. Then again maybe the market isn't there for this. For me it is a no brainer. I have replaced them twice within 4 years and the first time they broke it is only by the grace of God that I didn't blow a head gasket.

The new parts not having a quick disconnect on them does make them a little harder to install but it should be a one time install and never have to do it again VS every few years.

For me the peace of mind and never having to fool with them again is worth the added cost.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy OEM parts, I mean if the originals lasted 10-15 years, then I don’t know why new ones wouldn’t. Some things it’s ok to leave to Dorman but obviously these aren’t one of those. One set of OEM replacements should outlive most of these vehicles. But if I’d replaced mine more than once I’d be rethinking the situation too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia