Layman's Terms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zero8 Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2008 Yukon Denali. Is there an explanation of the suspension system in layman's terms? There's evidently a compressor that automatically levels the truck when a load is added. But there's also some system that levels each corner while you're driving?

Thanks in advance.
Danny

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not aware of a system on an '08 that levels each corner while you are driving, but, maybe, I'm simply unaware of it. The system that I am aware of works constantly to keep the front and rear of the truck at a level with respect to each other that has a pre-set baseline governed by the positions of the rods and their actuators at the suspension components.

Other folks with more experience than me will chime in with their perspectives.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The air compressor on your vehicle is part of the Auto Level Control system. This is where the air compressor will either inflate or deflate airbags on the rear shocks to level the vehicle front to back. There are level sensors at all 4 corners that feed into this, but only the rear shocks extend or retract to maintain level.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If I am right from ones I saw in the shops, the sensors are solid mount with rods that attach at points on the arms of the suspension and as the weight is changed the rods are moved up and down and the sensors will tell the compressor to kick on and add air or will tell the system to deflate to a default setting for ride height. Very cool system when working properly but a PITA when not.

OP
OP
Zero8 Yukon

Zero8 Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok. So I'm looking at Arnott's AS-2700 and it says this:

Arnott's premium rear air assisted shock AS-2700 for GM SUVs and Trucks (GMT 8XX & GMT 9XX) equipped with Autoride (Z55 RPO) is the ideal replacement for a failing rear shock. This top-of-the-line shock was engineered in the USA to deliver control, stability, performance, and comfort. This universal shock, which fits the left or right side, connects to the vehicle's auto-leveling system with no modifications. This passive Arnott shock bypasses the vehicle's auto-damping system and comes preinstalled with a sensor to eliminate dash panel error messages.

It says it connects to the auto-leveling system but bypasses the auto-dampening system? What is the auto-dampening system?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 Yukon Denali. Is there an explanation of the suspension system in layman's terms? There's evidently a compressor that automatically levels the truck when a load is added. But there's also some system that levels each corner while you're driving?

Thanks in advance.
Danny

ok. So I'm looking at Arnott's AS-2700 and it says this:

Arnott's premium rear air assisted shock AS-2700 for GM SUVs and Trucks (GMT 8XX & GMT 9XX) equipped with Autoride (Z55 RPO) is the ideal replacement for a failing rear shock. This top-of-the-line shock was engineered in the USA to deliver control, stability, performance, and comfort. This universal shock, which fits the left or right side, connects to the vehicle's auto-leveling system with no modifications. This passive Arnott shock bypasses the vehicle's auto-damping system and comes preinstalled with a sensor to eliminate dash panel error messages.

It says it connects to the auto-leveling system but bypasses the auto-dampening system? What is the auto-dampening system?

The stock AutoRide shocks have variable damping. Each one is independently electronically adjusted by the suspension controller based on input from the four position sensors at each corner, the steering wheel angle sensor, the wheel speed sensors, brake and throttle inputs, etc. Standard shocks are set how they are when designed and built to generally accommodate a range of driving conditions. There are two types of electronic shocks on these rigs. The bi-state ones change between two levels of damping using a variable internal valve. The other ones ("Magneride") alter the viscosity of the metallic fluid in the shock by varying the power of an electromagnet. It has much broader range of adjustment than the bi-state design. In the rear, on models with ALC (Automatic Leveling Control), the shocks also have an air bladder on them that's connected to a compressor. Using the position sensors attached to the rear upper control arms, the system detects when the rear is squatting and activates the compressor to inflate the air bladders on the shocks to lift the rear to it's intended position. I've heard that the higher-up models (Escalade) or maybe even higher trim levels (Denali?) had air bladders on the front shocks to alter the ride height.

That Arnott shock is basically a "standard" shock with no variable damping with an air bladder on it for the ALC. It has a resistor built into it so you can plug the electrical connection for the AutoRide into it. If you just unplug it from the original shock and install a non-electronic shock, the suspension computer will detect this and you'll have a "Service Suspension System" message constantly popping up on your DIC. When I lowered mine, I deleted the ALC and the AutoRide since there are no short shocks for this. I bought a $12 pack of resistors off Amazon and soldered them into the connectors to spoof the computer the same way the Arnott shocks do.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The stock AutoRide shocks have variable damping. Each one is independently electronically adjusted by the suspension controller based on input from the four position sensors at each corner, the steering wheel angle sensor, the wheel speed sensors, brake and throttle inputs, etc. Standard shocks are set how they are when designed and built to generally accommodate a range of driving conditions. There are two types of electronic shocks on these rigs. The bi-state ones change between two levels of damping using a variable internal valve. The other ones ("Magneride") alter the viscosity of the metallic fluid in the shock by varying the power of an electromagnet. It has much broader range of adjustment than the bi-state design. In the rear, on models with ALC (Automatic Leveling Control), the shocks also have an air bladder on them that's connected to a compressor. Using the position sensors attached to the rear upper control arms, the system detects when the rear is squatting and activates the compressor to inflate the air bladders on the shocks to lift the rear to it's intended position. I've heard that the higher-up models (Escalade) or maybe even higher trim levels (Denali?) had air bladders on the front shocks to alter the ride height.

That Arnott shock is basically a "standard" shock with no variable damping with an air bladder on it for the ALC. It has a resistor built into it so you can plug the electrical connection for the AutoRide into it. If you just unplug it from the original shock and install a non-electronic shock, the suspension computer will detect this and you'll have a "Service Suspension System" message constantly popping up on your DIC. When I lowered mine, I deleted the ALC and the AutoRide since there are no short shocks for this. I bought a $12 pack of resistors off Amazon and soldered them into the connectors to spoof the computer the same way the Arnott shocks do.

There are short air ride shocks but they ride kinda soft... you would probably like them... lol

When are you gonna hook a gauge up to your air lift bags and test the ALC?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are short air ride shocks but the ride kinda soft... you would probably like them... lol

When are you gonna hook a gauge up to your air lift bags and test the ALC?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Haven't been in the shop to do any "playwork" in probably two weeks. It's kinda been eating at me, too, but I've had plenty of distractions. Now my sights are set on fixing the 5.3. I may mess with it a little tomorrow.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just when I got my new tools set up the way I want I have pulled a muscle in my right forearm. Can't hardly lift my arm above my shoulder. Have to brush with my left hand and that was no fun. So, I will be away from tools for a few days. Being 67 sucks sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645