Last-minute ideas for mirror color(s)

How should I paint my mirrors?

• Bottom half stock/textured with body-colored cap

• Bottom half smoothed and gloss black with body-colored cap

• Bottom half smoothed and gloss black with gloss black cap

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of painting my mirror caps. I was geared up to paint the caps body color (Graystone Metallic) just like how they come on the LS trim level, but had a last-minute idea. I'm considering painting the bottom half/arm of the mirrors gloss black. They're textured so they'd be sanded smooth as well. I thought this would look good by blending them in better with the window tint. I'm also considering wrapping the pillars with gloss black. Then, I thought if I painted the bottoms gloss black, should I paint the caps the same? I'm taking inspiration from the Range Rover Sport for these mods, so I'll post some pics for better visuals. I'll have black wheels eventually, so these are very pertinent.

2008 Range Rover Sport with all black mirrors (pretend they're gloss) and pillars:

maxresdefault.jpg

2018 with same color scheme:

s-l1000.jpg

2015 with body-colored mirror caps:

DM5925-erknqobq.jpg

...And a 2015 with gray caps (couldn't find one with black wheels):

CAC40LRS071A021001.jpg

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the gloss black smooth bottom half and body colored top. You’d have the only one. If your rig wasn’t gray I’d say all body colored but gloss fits it and your wheels.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since starting this thread, I've been studying a LOT of cars in parking lots today. A lot of the higher-end cars have gloss bottom with body-colored tops. Even passed a Lexus and a Land Rover dealership and saw vehicles of similar color schemes. I think having the entire mirror gloss black would make it look like a cheaper unpainted replacement assembly.

I planned on painting the de-clads satin black after I lower it to give it more of a "sporty/performance/racing" persona. Leaving the bottoms of the mirrors as-is with the body-colored caps would fit this theme. But, my ultimate goal is to class it up a little from there with some gloss black 22s, pillars and grille. At that point, I'd be wanting gloss mirror bottoms. So, I'm really leaning towards that. I may even paint the de-clads low-gloss or regular gloss black since I can do whatever with them and it'd keep with one theme.

I'll still hear your inputs cuz someone may toss in a gamechanger!

For now, I'll focus on getting the caps painted since that's the one sure thing. Lots of sanding...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For now, I'll focus on getting the caps painted since that's the one sure thing. Lots of sanding...

I voted wrong, fixed it!

Skip sanding the chrome, sell those and pick up some plain ones that you can prep and shoot with the rattle can. Dorman makes them but I do not know their quality. If you're not in a hurry, keep checking ebay for your color. I just looked and didn't see any. WA213M?

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I voted wrong, fixed it!

Skip sanding the chrome, sell those and pick up some plain ones that you can prep and shoot with the rattle can. Dorman makes them but I do not know their quality. If you're not in a hurry, keep checking ebay for your color. I just looked and didn't see any. WA213M?

I traded a buddy my chrome ones for the plain black ones off his Sierra. He got my front two chrome door handles, too (ex-cab truck). His caps weren't painted, but have a light grain to them, very much like the grain on the rear bumper pad. I considered aftermarket for the cost savings, but was leery of the fit.

Yup, that's my color code. I have the driver's side sanded and primed and will probably start on the passenger side soon. Not looking forward to doing the same with the bottom halves and am kinda trying to talk myself out of it. I also keep telling myself that I'll regret not doing it and will be taking them back apart later so I may as well do it now and be done with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts