Large oil leak driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased another Tahoe, 2003 LT 4wd 5.3, took and smogged it and no noticeable leaks at all. Next day I drove 200miles to pick up new wheels, on way back I got a check engine light, engine temp and oil pressure fine and not acting up at all. Got home and shut it off and noticed smoke from hood and large oil leak under truck. Code was a knock sensor, reset it and checked oil and was like 3qts low, it was blown all over bottom side of car everywhere making hard to pinpoint. Took to reputable mechanic shop and are saying they see three leaking places and could possibly be valve covers, oil pan, rear main or all 3. Going to let them start from top with valve covers, cheapest and easiest. My question is what if any of them could cause such a lose that fast? They have had on rack running and only see small leaks from around those areas. Any insight or help would be appreciated before I spend $2k+ on an oil leak on Tahoe I didn’t even have two days

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased another Tahoe, 2003 LT 4wd 5.3, took and smogged it and no noticeable leaks at all. Next day I drove 200miles to pick up new wheels, on way back I got a check engine light, engine temp and oil pressure fine and not acting up at all. Got home and shut it off and noticed smoke from hood and large oil leak under truck. Code was a knock sensor, reset it and checked oil and was like 3qts low, it was blown all over bottom side of car everywhere making hard to pinpoint. Took to reputable mechanic shop and are saying they see three leaking places and could possibly be valve covers, oil pan, rear main or all 3. Going to let them start from top with valve covers, cheapest and easiest. My question is what if any of them could cause such a lose that fast? They have had on rack running and only see small leaks from around those areas. Any insight or help would be appreciated before I spend $2k+ on an oil leak on Tahoe I didn’t even have two days
Valve covers usually seep oil, not blow it all over.

Rear main would likely not have it all under the bottom of the motor, but air currents can do funny things.

Never heard of a oil pan gasket having a sudden catastrophic failure.

Have they looked at the oil cooler lines? What about the gasket on your oil filter?

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rear main would likely not have it all under the bottom of the motor, but air currents can do funny things.

Have they looked at the oil cooler lines? What about the gasket on your oil filter?
Yeah first thing that came to mind was the oil cooler plate / lines.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Top it off with new oil. Pressure washer and decrease. Drive it for a few miles and crawl under and check.

Check the pcv system and make sure it can breathe. A plugged motor will force oil out the easiest spot when then engine crankcase gets over pressurized. I also second the oil cooler or oil filter as the easiest ones to check that would dump that kind of oil. Need to clean it first tho tonight a starting point

OP
OP
dwmmatt23

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Not yet, it’s at shop and that’s what they told me they could find. I reiterated to them it came on sudden and lost a lot quick, not just seeping amount. They are going to clean more and look into it further. There is literally oil everywhere underneath it

OP
OP
dwmmatt23

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a call from mechanic, after hours of cleaning oil off everything, topping off and running on rack he check oil cooler lines and replaced gasket, was able to drive it and put a load on it and came back to find the oil filter being the culprit. Looked like the previous owner mangled it and oil leaking under a heavy load. He’s going to change filter and clean up again and hopefully that fixes it. Ugh, stupid owners

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11