Koala's 05 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah :) I've ordered paint for the roof rack, and clear. Need to wash down roof rack parts this weekend, polish up the chrome this weekend maybe get caps sanded down.

Yeah I gotta say the shop I went to did a great job. Lady did seem to be a tad confused why I wanted esclade parts painted chevy white :jester:
Caps look good! The end caps for the racks are pretty easy to do. I did mine myself with paint from the company @Fosscore recommended! And like they said all in the prep stages! Good sanding, good cleaning, and self etching primer works wonders! My body shop looked at me funny when I asked him to match my esky rear caps to my sliver and not an esky color too..... lol.

OP
OP
KookyKoala

KookyKoala

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Caps look good! The end caps for the racks are pretty easy to do. I did mine myself with paint from the company @Fosscore recommended! And like they said all in the prep stages! Good sanding, good cleaning, and self etching primer works wonders! My body shop looked at me funny when I asked him to match my esky rear caps to my sliver and not an esky color too..... lol.

I ordered from them, seem highly recommend around here hopefully paint the roof end caps next weekend worst case weekend after.

I didn't do much this weekend as planned other stuff needed to be done lol. I did however find some time to drop the rusty old tow hitch, and broken trailer connector as well. Also cleaned off from where someone smacked the bumper pretty ******* drivers side nothing i can do about passengers side till i get a new one or take it off completely and try and beat it back into shape. Realized while i was removing the hitch i need to go junk yard diving for a spare and jack supplies out of an NNBS, anyone know if a 275-55-20 factory 20 will fit underneath the nbs?
Tow Hitch Removed.jpg

OP
OP
KookyKoala

KookyKoala

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i got paint in this week, was super excited so i was able to make some progress on my roof rack

Primed them, painted and cleared them, tomorrow i gotta wet sand them butter smooth again and wax :), i also bought way to much paint so.... I am thinking about pulling the grill stripping the chrome and painting the chrome on the grill to color match the truck.

20180923_164251.jpg
20180923_180324.jpg
20180923_180335.jpg
20180923_211503.jpg

Thanks @Fosscore , and @Bigbeardenali1992 for recommendations was really all in the prep. i went with automotive touch up paint and clear, cheap primer. There not perfect but will work for now screwed one of them up will need to fix but should be able to put rack on the truck before next weekend. :).

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i got paint in this week, was super excited so i was able to make some progress on my roof rack

Primed them, painted and cleared them, tomorrow i gotta wet sand them butter smooth again and wax :), i also bought way to much paint so.... I am thinking about pulling the grill stripping the chrome and painting the chrome on the grill to color match the truck.

View attachment 207970
View attachment 207971
View attachment 207972
View attachment 207974

Thanks @Fosscore , and @Bigbeardenali1992 for recommendations was really all in the prep. i went with automotive touch up paint and clear, cheap primer. There not perfect but will work for now screwed one of them up will need to fix but should be able to put rack on the truck before next weekend. :).

You're welcome. And nobody will ever see whatever you goofed up. They look great!! :waytogo:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You won’t be able to strip the chrome off the grill but those of us who have painted them just sand the hell out of it and use self etching primer. It’s a lot of work and is still prone to chipping but that’s the best that can be done.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the chrome on the grill can’t be stripped. Like @Rocket Man said, sand the hell out of it and self etching primer on that guy! Excited for you for the end caps! They look good! You’ll love the esky racks!

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Get a hd grille. Can peel the chrome off that....received_1902955293068473.jpeg

OP
OP
KookyKoala

KookyKoala

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha thanks guys well i guess i didn't put enough coats of paint on them cause after they dried they look a shade or 2 darker from the trucks color.

@05Single, i have thought about that grill.
@Rocket Man, thanks for the info i was kinda hoping id be able to pull it off with oven cleaner or something but i will just sand the hell out of it :)

you might be able to see it in this picture
20180926_182415.jpg
so i have sanded the clear off and getting ready to lay another couple coats of paint, i can't remember i think i did 3 coats last time i am not sure but can tell there 2 dark on the truck.

Oh and a Updated pic of the truck couldn't resist its looking damn good.
20180926_182430.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman