Knock sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
If both knock sensors are throwing a code, can they cause a reduction in engine power? I have an 05 Tahoe with a 5.3 that is struggling to get out of its own way right now, I’ve deleted cats and changed plugs, replaced the purge flow solenoid as well. With none of these helping. It’s throwing so many codes I’m not sure where to go next.
I'm no expert, but I'd say yes. It retards the timing until there's no more knock. To reduce damage internally.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the exact code it's throwing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

I'm going back tomorrow to have it read again. If I remember correctly, it was P0332

Funny thing is, it drives fine. I really haven't noticed any difference. Yet :)

If both knock sensors are throwing a code, can they cause a reduction in engine power? I have an 05 Tahoe with a 5.3 that is struggling to get out of its own way right now, I’ve deleted cats and changed plugs, replaced the purge flow solenoid as well. With none of these helping. It’s throwing so many codes I’m not sure where to go next.

Tony took the words out of my mouth.

How many codes and what codes are they? Maybe if we see what they are we can help you figure this out.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

When you deleted cats did you program the downstream O2 sensors out or at least install anti foulers on them to trick them into thinking there are still cats present???

Chris05

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going back tomorrow to have it read again. If I remember correctly, it was P0332

Funny thing is, it drives fine. I really haven't noticed any difference. Yet :)

Tony took the words out of my mouth.

How many codes and what codes are they? Maybe if we see what they are we can help you figure this out.
I have bank 1&2 too rich, excessive dump, and about 8 more emission codes.

Chris05

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you deleted cats did you program the downstream O2 sensors out or at least install anti foulers on them to trick them into thinking there are still cats present???
No I didn’t, honestly didn’t know I needed too. What do I need to do there?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
No I didn’t, honestly didn’t know I needed too. What do I need to do there?

You either need to have a custom tune to ignore the rear/downstream O2 sensors OR...

You can buy a couple spark plug anti foulers and thread those into the O2 sensor bungs in the pipes and then thread your O2 sensors into those to trick the ECM into thinking there are still cats in place.

Check out YouTube for more details on the anti fouler trick.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, engine lite cleared itself. Is that common? I put in a higher grade gas last night before coming home. Not sure if that did it or what.
I'm still going to replace both but thought that was odd for it to clear.

I have bank 1&2 too rich, excessive dump, and about 8 more emission codes.

I'm wondering if you not having them tuned out caused more issues. I think they would clear out once you get a tune or do what kb said. If not post what codes and we can see what we can do to help out.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its weird, the CEL clears itself and comes back. It came back Friday afternoon and has been on since.
I just replaced my knock sensors while changing my oil and will take a trip to Advanced for them to read a clear it for me.
Keeping my fingers crossed haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts