Knock knock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Op here, it's been a while but finally got time to dig a little bit and found the 5th rocker on the passenger side of the engine isn't moving at all... I saw the video of the guy who knocks the lifter loose and I'm considering doing that or just opening it up and replacing them all together I'm just afraid it will happen again. Also I'll be fixing the horrible oil leak that caused this to begin with.. my question is, is there any way to check if the cam has been damaged from this considering it's a seized lifter?

Can't tell without visually inspecting the lobe(s) and if you're into it that far, you're far enough in it to replace the lifters. I'd pull the heads and lifters (heads have to come off to get them) and go from there. The bonus is that the engine is easier to pull with the heads off since you can easily access the four upper bellhousing bolts and it's a smaller package altogether.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't tell without visually inspecting the lobe(s) and if you're into it that far, you're far enough in it to replace the lifters. I'd pull the heads and lifters (heads have to come off to get them) and go from there. The bonus is that the engine is easier to pull with the heads off since you can easily access the four upper bellhousing bolts and it's a smaller package altogether.

Lovin’ the new profile picture!

OP
OP
M

Mark1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I haven't taken out the push rod but I did turn the engine over by hand and touched on the rocker a bit and now it's moving again? I don't get it am I missing something. I haven't done anything else to it. And there is a little bit of up and down play in the rocker

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So I haven't taken out the push rod but I did turn the engine over by hand and touched on the rocker a bit and now it's moving again? I don't get it am I missing something. I haven't done anything else to it. And there is a little bit of up and down play in the rocker

When you say you saw that the rocker was not moving, how was that determined? Did you watch while someone turned engine over? Is the movement you are seeing now equal to the other rockers? Less than? I would still look at the push rod but it does sound like a lifter problem but further inspection is needed.

OP
OP
M

Mark1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you say you saw that the rocker was not moving, how was that determined? Did you watch while someone turned engine over? Is the movement you are seeing now equal to the other rockers? Less than? I would still look at the push rod but it does sound like a lifter problem but further inspection is needed.

Okay so first time I took the valve cover off and watched while someone turned it on. It was not moving at all while all the others were. Second time I turned it over by hand and watched it move all the way up and down. Then I got someone to start it and it moved with the others normally for a few seconds and then it stopped and the noise got loud again. I could feel some pulsating when I put my finger over the rocker where the push rod sits. I'll go ahead and look at the push rod next and then think about just taking the heads off already to check the lifter and cam. If I take the rocker arm off can I tighten it down back to where it was by rotation count?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
For a quick easy removal of the rocker and attempt to get it back again to where it was, TDC is best for both the exhaust and intake valves to be. When you rotate by hand watch for the sequence of the #2 and #4 cylinders, the 4 rockers from front to back that are ahead of your #6 cylinder 5th rocker you are talking about, and watch for when the rockers are both even and that will be at a TDC when both valves are closed. That is when the lifters for each of those 2 cylinders, #2 and #4 are at there most relaxed position. If you align the TDC mark on the balancer with the pointer, that will mean either your #1 cylinder or your #6 cylinder, the one you are having problems with, will be at TDC. Then you can carefully back the rocker nut off and count rotations to do what you are asking.

Actually, you really don't even need to look at the #2 and #4 cylinder rockers. Just align the timing mark and #1 and #6 will be at TDC. Valves will be closed and push rods will be down.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA