Keep my Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, another opinion question. I have a 2010 Tahoe LT 4WD with 80K miles. Runs good, doesn't burn oil, but is due for all the fluids to be changed. It has minimal rust for a Wisconsin truck. The underside actually looks better than a 2016 I looked at a few months ago. The are (2) 3/32" paint bubbles on the wheel arch of the passenger side fear fender, which I know is a place for rust to start. The 20" rims of course look like crap, and 3 of them have slow air leaks thru the rims.

If this were a truck from a rust free area, I wouldn't even ask the question, but I would keep it. But I wonder if I should look at something newer from a rust free area? There are a few low mileage '13's or '14's out there (I would look at all 3 brands) but prices seem excessive. Or they have 100K+ miles. If I go next Gen, I think I would avoid '15-16's and look for a '17 or newer. But hose are expensive around here as well and the few I have looked at looked like they sat in the ocean for a year, at least the undersides. Plus I'd be lucky to get $10K trade on mine. So, do I keep it and throw some fender flares on it when the wheel arches rust or look for something newer? As much as I drive lately, I could just wait 5 years and buy something at that time. I know this is really my decision, just looking for some opinions, good or bad!

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
You could Fluid Film it and drive it for a long time with minimal expense.

Mainly depends on your needs. If you need a transportation appliance then you have that. Trading won’t help you.

If you need to present an image to business contacts etc. for professional success then sometimes an older vehicle doesn’t help. Note I don’t mean the keeping up with the neighbors culture that we’re all trained to aspire to.

Kristin Benjamin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Keep it. We’ve own a 2015, 2007, and 2011. The oldest ones are the best. Just keep fixing and maintaining and it’s worth it. So much more Comfortable than the newer ones and easier to fix when something goes wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines rusting worse than that, has 149k on it and I just swapped a 6.2 in it. I just fluid film visible areas and it keeps the rust from spreading further. It will last a while with basic upkeep of that.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also newer isn't always better. Sure they look better, imo but look into the GM A8 problems.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel for you. I own a 2007 Yukon SLT that I will likely keep until I die, I literally love the thing.

The difference in our situations is mine has no rust issues. I really hate rust and likely wouldn’t keep mine if it started to show up.

You no doubt have done the depreciation math and understand how much work you can do on your current rig, each and every year, before replacing it makes economic sense.

Whatever you decide, never forget the “devil you know”, thing. Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep