Just had starter replaced, won't start.... What can go wrong???? FIXED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't know how to edit the title of thread ...... I don't see a link.
Go to the very first #1 post of the thread. Top right of that, you can click on the 3 dots and it will allow you to "edit thread". Then open up the title of thread and add the word FIXED.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an admin my menu is somewhat different, but if you follow the instructions from @OR VietVet you should be able to do it. Ping me if you still can't.
I did the edit..... ( as all computers, the answer is there.... You just have to find it.
( I found it ) Thanks........................

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To finish this thought...... The right-side, front plastic wheel well has a convenient opening, so you actually see the starter. ( Turn wheel to a full left )..... If you must do a manual "screwdriver" start, BE CAREFUL !!! Be sure not to touch one of the big stud-contacts, and the small stud ( signal wire)... That may blow a fuse. Only touch-across the 2 big studs.

Keep a handful of 40 amp fuses in the truck.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sunday evening update...... I'm not out of the woods...yet..... I drove the Yukon the last 2 days, no issues.... It sat in my garage all day today... I started it... Battery nearly dead.... I put a charger on it .... it charged up.... I started it..... The alternator seems just fine

It idled like it has a stuck carburetor float... or the choke stuck....It started to idle a bit better....... Just the 'check engine light' on the dash...... (( WTF ?? ))

I'll see in the morning, if I drive it to that 'troublshooter' ...... Crap !!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How do you know the alternator "seems just fine". The coils and injectors need a properly functioning alternator. The battery may have been down because the alternator is not "just fine" and could either not be charging correctly or is causing a draw that is draining the battery. You also could have connection problems and/or resistance problems thru the cables.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you know the alternator "seems just fine". The coils and injectors need a properly functioning alternator. The battery may have been down because the alternator is not "just fine" and could either not be charging correctly or is causing a draw that is draining the battery. You also could have connection problems and/or resistance problems thru the cables.
The alternator is pretty new & it's not a reman. It shows over 14 volts on the gauge. But it will be checked today.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a AAA service tech at my house today..... His portable jumper started my truck easily. He attached his 'fancy tool' to the battery, and it looked ok..... He noticed something......

After all the attention to my truck and battery the last few days.....

The negative to the battery was....:idiot:.... sorta loose..... Possibly the reason it wasn't charging properly. Good grief....... I will find out tomorrow morning....
I am not disconnecting the battery over night..... I want to see how the truck is, in it's normal state....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnimalMother