Starter or ? SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donf

Reaction score
Truck has been starting like new ever since it was..... well , new.
As a Fathers Day present my eldest hired some guy to detail the old gal,

The thing is, although I told him NOT to touch the engine bay, he proudly showed me what he had done.Looks to me as if he applied Armor All with a garden sprayer. Puddles of the crap everywhere. Still not dry 4 days later.
Today; having logged around 5 miles since the detail (and receiving nice compliments from one guy) I went to the store. All fine until I tried to leave. No start.
What I get is a somewhat loud, single click when turning the key. Not the "barat tat tat tat" I have always heard when a battery is semi dead. Windows openandclose normally, headlights look approximately OK, radio makes normal sounds, etc. Still I called AAA (I started paying for thrm when my kids began driving, eventually adding my wife, and then me. Always thought it was worth it for a jump or tire change, then again, I'm lazy)
Kid knew nothing "Your battery is dead" "But my lights work",let him change the battery.....and change it back again.Called tow truck and now it's in front of my house, dead.
I think starter except for the odd noise. And I am concerned about the Armor All.
The wife refuses to allow me to work on a Car "In our neighborhood" (I think we must live in different neighborhoods) but the tow driver would not take it down the alley and through my gate. Looks like a quick job.
Does the Banging with a hammer really work? I could move it then. thanks

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A loud single clunk noise. like you described, does sound like a starter. Also, bear in mind, it takes more current to turn an engine over and start it than to run windows, headlights, radio....Yes, try the hammer tap and see if armature frees from field coils.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely would start with tapping on the starter with a hammer to see if that does the trick.

If that doesn't work, try removing the positive battery cable, separate the (2) layers of connectors and clean them up. If the spray got in between them and compromised the connection the starter may not have power. One positive lead activates the starter solenoid while the other positive lead provides a constant 12V to the starter. Unfortunately with this battery terminal design you can have one hot lead without the other if the connection has been compromised in any way (ie loose, corroded, engine bay spray lol, etc)

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the voltmeter on the dash read? Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery, fully charged battery should read 12.6v. Any corrosion at either and of either battery cable can create a no start even with a good battery. Yes the hammer trick can work, usually it jars the starter to create a better connection internally at the starter solenoid or the brushes/armature.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck has been starting like new ever since it was..... well , new.
As a Fathers Day present my eldest hired some guy to detail the old gal,

The thing is, although I told him NOT to touch the engine bay, he proudly showed me what he had done.Looks to me as if he applied Armor All with a garden sprayer. Puddles of the crap everywhere. Still not dry 4 days later.
Today; having logged around 5 miles since the detail (and receiving nice compliments from one guy) I went to the store. All fine until I tried to leave. No start.
What I get is a somewhat loud, single click when turning the key. Not the "barat tat tat tat" I have always heard when a battery is semi dead. Windows openandclose normally, headlights look approximately OK, radio makes normal sounds, etc. Still I called AAA (I started paying for thrm when my kids began driving, eventually adding my wife, and then me. Always thought it was worth it for a jump or tire change, then again, I'm lazy)
Kid knew nothing "Your battery is dead" "But my lights work",let him change the battery.....and change it back again.Called tow truck and now it's in front of my house, dead.
I think starter except for the odd noise. And I am concerned about the Armor All.
The wife refuses to allow me to work on a Car "In our neighborhood" (I think we must live in different neighborhoods) but the tow driver would not take it down the alley and through my gate. Looks like a quick job.
Does the Banging with a hammer really work? I could move it then. thanks
IF the starter has a issue, then YES the hammer tap can indeed work, it's not a 100% for sure thing that is written in gold but it is a thing.

Last edited:

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is still possible to read good voltage on the dash and not have power to the starter due to a compromised 2-piece positive battery terminal. The most sure way to confirm power to the starter is to use a volt meter at the starter itself. It should read a constant 12V, with or without key on.
That 2-piece terminal being compromised can also lead to charging issues as this is where the hot wire to the alternator is directly connected to.

As @Eman85 eluded to, verifying you have a good battery to start with is always the best place to begin...in any no-crank circumstance for that matter. Something I just assumed was already verified here, sorry for coming to conclusions without that info.

OP
OP
D

Donf

Reaction score
Well, I'm em-bear-rassed.......

1687371024747.png

I KNEW that it could not be the terminals, not only did the AAA tow driver try to jump the car but just recently I finally got around to replacing my side terminal bolts (which could only be turned with vice grips, no visible flat surfaces) and really cleaned the wires and the battery side - wire brush, the battery corrosion remover, then electronic cleaner. I mean, how could they get bad so fast. Took the positive off - looked like it had been pained with white latex house paint, nice thick coat too. Negative was likewise "painted. Nothing on the outside at all. Was wire brushing them when the wife came out, turned the key, instant start.

Anyway, thanks to all for your help and suggestions, I come here because you all are helpful and friendly. Without being judgmental and saying something like " All that drama and 6 hours of your time. " Not that I just heard that or anything. Three or four times.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, now for the judgmental part. Basics first. What you described sounded like a starter problem because of the "loud click" you described. As I have said, and others too here, start with the basics first. Condition and age of battery, cables condition and cleanliness. Corrosion buildup at either end of cables and under insulation. Glad it worked out. Maybe the wife's eye roll is enough on the "judgement scale".

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dielectric compound is your new friend. Buy a tube at Walmart or any parts store and use it to coat any electrical connections. Helps prevent corrosion, also use it in the spark plug boots when you put them on the plugs and wipe a little on the dist cap terminal for the plug wires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900