Just had starter replaced, won't start.... What can go wrong???? FIXED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy-peasy...... I had my ' quality' starter replaced. ... ( I thought the bendix was not engaging, i tapped the starter with a little hammer, and seems as if everything was OK..... But had starter replaced just in case ) )....
Then..... all hell breaks loose ! turn key and heard a slight humming sound ( like before, when I tapped the starter)..

ALSO...... My warning idiot lights, lit up like a Christmas tree......
The PURPLE WIRE...... I "think",.... I found a reason, but not sure how IMPORTANT the purple wire is?? I "think", the purple wire at the starter connection MAY have damage, but wasn't noticed until the wire was moved, while replacing starter? When my 2005 Yukon cools down, I will try to inspet the wire.....
THAT PURPLE WIRE...... Would it cause my dash to light up?????

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the shop, we did the screwdriver trick on starter, to start ( with key on, it starts up). He didn't have time to continue troublshooting today. I drove it home.. I shut it off. I turned key, and the "sound" I heard before I replaced the starter, is the "typical sound" you hear , starting, if the starter won't work. So, ..my old starter wasn't the real problem.
The signal to the starter, is not "signaling"...... I am dumbfounded.....

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What exactly "lit up" on your dash?
Almost everything..... But right now, "engine" , "brakes" & "ABS"......

I re-plugged in, the plug to transmission ( It was unplugged). I wonder if I should disconnect then re connect the battery, to reset ?? Because I plugged in the plug to transmission ( transfer case)??

I also have "Service 4 WD " That may turn off if I disconnect battery to clear , since it is now plugged back in. ( photos )

CORRECTION : This un-plugged pigtail is the oil level sensor. ( stupid me.... I didn't notice that is the oil pan..... stupid-stupid..... ( but the 'service 4WD" is still in my dash....
I am going to a troublshooter tomorrow...... wish me luck ( $$$ )

Attachments

• 20231023_110507.jpg
    20231023_110507.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231023_110643.jpg
    20231023_110643.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All these "trouble codes"...... I'm confused..... EVERYTHING about my 2005 Yukon has NOT shown these issues. ( Did I loose my ECM all of a sudden ??? ) When I drove back from my mechanic, ( besides the transfer case un plugged)..... It drove great as usual.. no issues...

A/C is fine, front & back..... etc....

Attachments

• trouble codes page 1.jpg
    trouble codes page 1.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Trouble codes page 2.jpg
    Trouble codes page 2.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 7
  • test result list page 3.jpg
    test result list page 3.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost a year ago, I bought an AC Delco ignition switch . ( I heard they are hard to find)..... I am thinking of changing the ignition switch....

I am wondering if the switch is a cause??

Attachments

• 20231023_124158.jpg
    20231023_124158.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 1
  • 20231023_124236.jpg
    20231023_124236.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20231023_124151.jpg
    20231023_124151.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just make sure the gear teeth, on the switch, is keyed in the correct position. I went thru this on my girl's Trail Blazer and it uses the exact same part # switch. So does my Tahoe and I just bought a Genuine GM switch on ebay, just to have. They are very hard to find, oe part that is.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spoke with a mobile repair guy.... He suggests, the glitch may be the TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR..... If the sensor does not KNOW, the transmission is in "Park", the starter will not engage ( old school safety )..... Hmmmm...

After I was driving home yesterday, I did know the transmission was performing... "differently".. ( like starting from a stop sign, as if it was in 3rd gear.) ??
LIMP MODE??

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I spoke with a mobile repair guy.... He suggests, the glitch may be the TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR..... If the sensor does not KNOW, the transmission is in "Park", the starter will not engage ( old school safety )..... Hmmmm...
That is a possibility for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork