Jiffy Lube experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have learned my lesson the last time I went there a few years ago when they overfilled my engine with about 3 quarts too many and I blew an engine seal.
The lure of a $15 oil change out the door brought me back. Anyway, I asked the manager not to let a rookie work on it and he assured me "only his top guys" would. Well sure enough I am watching through the window, and at least one of the guys was being trained. He determined I needed a new battery, which of course I did not because the previous owner had just replaced it within the last year(I confirmed at Autozone).

Anyway, we was the one also responsible for topping off the fluids, and he spilled anti-freeze all over the engine bay after putting too much in the reservoir. I know this because they used a suction device to extract some of it out(looked like a fancy turkey baster. The trouble is that when I looked at the engine bay later, the coolant spilled on my engine and hoses that he put in was green.
I know the stuff in there was reddish, probably Dexcool.

So I went back and spoke to the manager to tell him about the new battery recommendation that Autozone said I didn't need, and the coolant issue. He got defensive about the battery issue, as if he had been through this before, with trying to sell customers things they didn't need.
When I asked him why they didn't put Dexcool in, and that they shouldn't mix two different anti-freezes(what I've always heard), he claimed they did not carry Dexcool. He said theirs was "universal" and it could be mixed with any of the various varieties out there. When I raised my brow, he said "Jiffy Lube would not have something that was incompatible with other fluids, so I should trust him". This after his other tech confirmed that my battery was fine, and tried to clean up the engine bay for me. At least they didn't overfill the oil this time.

Aside from the overall story, anyone know if Jiffy Lubes anti-freeze is really "universal" like this guy claims? He said it was yellow, but it was clearly green. Regardless, I had always heard you don't mix them, and if you want to switch for whatever reason, you properly flush the old and put in the different type.

Thoughts and/or comment on this issue or your experience with Jiffy Lube in general are welcome.

`

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should call the local better business bureau on them. They also the local chamber of commerce if they have the member sticker on the door. Don't let them continue their scam. No telling how many people have been ripped off.

jetmech

Reaction score
I would'nt let JL work on my lawnmower, much less a $40K+ vehicle. There are "Multi-vehicle" universal type anit-freezes out there. Good luck on determining if that's what they actually use.

99_Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they do use a universal long life coolant. Most bigger quick lubes use it so they can save money and not have to carry 7 different types to match each manufacturer.

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I should not get hung up on the color, but I was under the impression that the various colors were intended to help differentiate the different types so you didn't mix them or in theory put the wrong type in.
I know a lot of the Corvette guys have drained the Dexcool out because of some of the problems people experienced with it, especially if it was mixed with another type.

As to what JL uses, I'd almost prefer that they put all one type in rather than mixing what they have with it. Funny enough they use these little strips that look like PH pool strips to "test the coolant".
I asked how it worked and they said it is just a color match, to where if the color is not solid, it is time to change it. Considering the aforementioned battery issue, if they dilute yours with their universal brand, then it would change/dilute the color, right?

mike1944

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's an expose on Jiffy Lube practically every 6 months. Rip off crooks lying to sell you something you don't need. And every time they promise they won't do it again. Don't know why anyone would go there and risk it.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ONLY time I bring my truck for ANY repairs or service is if its something I can't do myself. Like last year I had to bring it to a shop to get my transmission rebuilt. When I buy tires I even unbolt my wheels and bring them in another truck to go get tires mounted on them. I have had too many dumbasses strip out lugnuts before with impact wrenches. My wife had an issue with Walmart years ago, they stripped her oil pan drain bolt. When they blamed it on the last person who changed her oil, she got irate and showed them the receipts that they had changed it the previous 4-5 times. This was back when we were dating. After that, I changed her oil from that point on until she got rid of that car.
Bottom line, oil change places do NOT hire mechanics. They will hire any schmuck off the street willing to change oil for $9 an hour. Most of them don't even have any automotive experience at all. Hence the guy having to be trained on how to change oil and top off fluids. You may as well pay the kid up the street to change your oil if you are gonna go to any of those oil change places.

Last edited:

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My moddo: "If you aren't going to work on your vehicle yourself, at least take it to the automotive center that is certified to (such as your Chevy dealer)."

My sister had been taking her Tahoe to Jiffy lube. At 50k miles, they told her the fuel filter would need replaced as well as spark plugs... Huh I don't think so. He Hoe was strictly a highway queen and was in excellent condition on top of that. So they take advantage of women and don't really know what any vehicle needs when it comes to proper maintenance. Our dealership (which sells both Chevy and GMC) actually has a half decent service and parts department. And they are $3. more than Jiffy for a service I believe.

No Jiffy for me. And maybe there's a reason some auto makers will void the warranty if you don't get maintenance done at the dealership...

Dave01

Reaction score
I've been reading some coolant threads lately in an effort to figure out if the universal coolants are ok. It seems to be 50/50, for every post that says "the stuff is no good" there's another one that says the universal is fine. So, I don't know what to think and therefore will carefully stick to stock coolant.

Color isn't the only thing to pay attention to. Mopar HOAT coolants are red, and so is Dexcool, but if I understand correctly they are not the same thing.

As for quick oil change places, they may not put the right oil in, they may not put the right coolant in, and they always try to sell you stuff you don't need. Probably the most damaging thing they do is tranny flushes, I think more transmissions fail because of the flush procedure than anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700