Jiffy Lube experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'd really like to know for certain about mixing coolants and so called universal coolants, because I do not trust the Jiffy Lube person as far as I could throw him.

Dave01

Reaction score
Do what I did, search this site or just google "can Dexcool mix with universal coolants" and see what comes up. There is a TON of discussion about this, and like I said I didn't find a definite answer I felt I could count on, so I'm staying with mfg. recommended coolant. As to whether them adding a pint to top off your reservoir will cause any problems, I'd tend to doubt it.

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do what I did, search this site or just google "can Dexcool mix with universal coolants" and see what comes up. There is a TON of discussion about this, and like I said I didn't find a definite answer I felt I could count on, so I'm staying with mfg. recommended coolant. As to whether them adding a pint to top off your reservoir will cause any problems, I'd tend to doubt it.

They added a lot as my reservoir was close to empty. Still I'd like to know.
Trouble is that I am running into the same thing you have where it is about a 50/50 split. Some people/sources swear it is bad and not to do it. Others are saying it is no big deal. The question is who to believe, and is there a "universal coolant" that can mix with any and everything?

Albertayukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well if it doesn't mix well it causes a horrible gel that really messes up your system and causes a mess that is hard to clean. I would never mix different types of coolant because of that. I would also never bring my Yukon to a Jiffylube (well I also have a father who I being it too and we trade computer/accounting work for truck work haha).

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for quick oil change places.... and they always try to sell you stuff you don't need......

They have to. A few years ago a former manager said his quota was $66 per car.

If a manager doesn't meet the average $66 per car quota, they fire you.

AmazinglySmooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My father went to a quick lube place once before he drove from Ohio to Texas since he ran out of time to do it himself. He drove 1200 miles. In Texas he noticed some white smoke from the hood. We opened the hood and saw the oil cap sitting there off of the engine wedged nicely where the tech had left it. Oil was everywhere!

Fortunately, the oil level didn't drop below the safe line. The quick lube shop offered to redo the oil change and clean his engine bay.

YukonXLPerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coolant may be universal, but i would hate to mix it with other fluid. If i were you I would drain the stuff myself and put only one type in the vehicle.

Give it a good flush while you are at it.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Stay away from those quick lubes. They are filled with young High school kids or vo tech students learning to work on cars. Everything they have is universal, Even the stuff they use for the oil pan drain. We see at least one a month from jiffy lube that they left drain bolts loose, fell out and lost all the oil, Rags behind that caught fire and worst of all Cars came in with tires that fell off. Whats the stuff they use for the oil pan you say? They dont have crush washers and dont replace with new ones like your supposed to. Instead they reuse the washer and they put a Beal of sealant around the edge of the drain bolt to hopefully prevent any leaks from happening. Ill take a pic next time i see one.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to say this but here we go.
If you are unsure of the info and cant find any truth about mixing it. Go to a stealership and have them flush your coolant system and add all new GM quality fluid.
Or
Get a Haynes/Chilton manual and do it yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LadnerAutomotive