Is this too much rust? Need advice before buying.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
From Wisconsin that doesn’t look terrible. I wouldn't be overly concerned. If you spray the frame down with wool wax or fluidfilm in the fall before the next salt season you will be ok. I would be concerned about brake lines more than the frame.
I also see the control arm bushing is probably shot.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check inside the boxed frame areas, stick a finger in any hole and feel for loose rusty junk in the bottom. Look real close at the body to frame mounting area, several closed in areas that hold water, salt, mud, etc. But bubbles of rust on the body is like an iceberg, what you can't see is the bad part.

OP
OP
D

drabina

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks again guys. I already told the seller that I am going to pass on the truck. I only considered this one because of the low mileage and overall (interior, exterior) condition. Unfortunately, the rust on the bottom was a bit outside of my comfort zone.

KChevy75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd recommend looking for a car that wasn't driven in the salt belt. If buying online, always check the carfax report to see where it has been registered throughout the years in addition to maintenance and accident history. You even have to be careful about buying a car from Carmax, carvana, vroom ,etc. They sell 2+ year old northern cars that looks like that underneath. You then have to go through the hassle of returning it.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way it hell would I buy that.