Is this too much rust? Need advice before buying.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drabina

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking at 2002 Tahoe that's for sale locally. The body is in very good shape with a bit of bubbling by the rear door. The rear hatch has about letter size bubbling around the rear wiper. My concern is the frame. It is all covered by rust. Given the car spent its life in North East that's nothing to be surprised with but I am not sure if that's too much rust or not. If this was you buying, would you consider that much rust or move on? I am fine with mechanical work but can't do body/rust work besides wire brushing and covering with POR 15.

rust1.jpg

rust2.jpg

rust3.jpg

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What state are you in? For a salt belt 2002 not rust proofed I am guessing I have seen a lot worse, when you can peel crust it’s not that good, this doesn’t seem like crust.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But I should add once I bought mine (salt belt) I wish I did the research and went south or to a area without salt and bought mine there, but for the fly I got a nice deal on a 1 owner dealer maintained 01 I couldn’t pass up.

OP
OP
D

drabina

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am in NJ so that's probably pretty normal for my area. It is just that it is a bit out of my comfort zone. I guess I will pass on the Tahoe.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Buying an 02 means usually needs work and the suspension and all attaching components and brake systems will be tough to work on with that rust I see. That control arm area looks nasty

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being from PA. This is nothing. My 08 express van looks like this if not worse. My 15 is on the way…. I will say bolts and stuff are definitely going to give you a headache and rust in your face is always fun. But I wouldn’t be Overly concerned

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I am in NJ so that's probably pretty normal for my area. It is just that it is a bit out of my comfort zone. I guess I will pass on the Tahoe.
I'm from Jersey. Doesn't look bad for an 02 at all. Pretty normal for the area. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if that was my only concern. Hopefully the price is right.

OP
OP
D

drabina

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The car's interior is in very good condition, low mileage for the year and it rides nice too. Those are the pros. Cons is the rust you see on the photos and the price which is definitely based on the current market. I will pass.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What price was being asked? I might be looking to sell my 2001 that’s in decent shape for a NY vehicle and documented since new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9