Is there such a thing as front shocks for a Z55 Denali that aren't going to cost me all the gold in FT. Knox?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparkyz07Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it seems there is a huge gap in pricing for the front shocks. I have looked on O'Reilly and Autozone and they are wanting $500 and up each. I looked on RockAuto and there are some that are half that proce. Yet I question if it is a quality unit.

my truck has 175K miles, so I am wanting to replace the strut as a unit (strut and spring) and no I am not wanting to disable the system. If I were to do that< i would just bag the whole thing and be done with it. But I'm not at that point just yet. Not sure if I'm going to keep this rig long term. I'm having fun working on the things that are wrong. I'm going to enjoy replacing the top end of the engine in the next month or so.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could rebuild the struts and save at least some money
all you need is the shock and new springs (presuming the springs have some kind of problem)
the oem shock portion runs about $250 each on rock auto
not sure on the spring p/n, that may be a dealer only part but i know they are out there

OP
OP
Sparkyz07Denali

Sparkyz07Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you could rebuild the struts and save at least some money
all you need is the shock and new springs (presuming the springs have some kind of problem)
the oem shock portion runs about $250 each on rock auto
not sure on the spring p/n, that may be a dealer only part but i know they are out there
I assume the springs are ok. I could rebuild them sure. but was hoping to be able to replace everything. Then again I may not have a choice. Are the rock auto units good quality tho?

OP
OP
Sparkyz07Denali

Sparkyz07Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 175k miles, I'd replace the springs as well, since you will have that strut assembly disassembled. Springs will run you ~$70 each.

You may not find available OEM springs, as production of some of them has been discontinued. I ran into this situation, and I used compatible Moog springs with no issues.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or look for OEM take offs from a salvage place with lower miles. I put 2019 tahoe shocks on my 2008 denali. The ride great, but I did have to put resistors in for the suspension fault. $375 for a pair with 40k. Just my thoughts.

Reaction score
does anyone have any experience with these parts?

I've spent a lot of time trying to make myself pull trigger on either OE Z55 replacements or ditching and going high-end passive's. The only brand indication I see on these struts you've linked is Mac Auto Parts, which looks to be an Ebay parts store only? I've not heard of them but that doesn't mean they're no good? But I did come across this video in my research. Hopefully it helps you see a few signs or features to avoid?

I will co-sign on the advice Doublevie Wes and Joseph Garcia stated above. I haven't made my decision yet on what to purchase but I must soon. Going up to the mountains for ATV trip in 16 days. Now, I'm leaning towards Arnott 2708 rears paired with some nice springs, and "somebodies" fronts, since Arnott does not make an active Z55 front. Maybe this one:

WELL...it looks like there's only 1 front remaining on Rock Auto?

If by chance Rock Auto is out and none of the other appeal to you, rebuilding shock and replacing spring should make for an fine combo

OP
OP
Sparkyz07Denali

Sparkyz07Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've spent a lot of time trying to make myself pull trigger on either OE Z55 replacements or ditching and going high-end passive's. The only brand indication I see on these struts you've linked is Mac Auto Parts, which looks to be an Ebay parts store only? I've not heard of them but that doesn't mean they're no good? But I did come across this video in my research. Hopefully it helps you see a few signs or features to avoid?

I will co-sign on the advice Doublevie Wes and Joseph Garcia stated above. I haven't made my decision yet on what to purchase but I must soon. Going up to the mountains for ATV trip in 16 days. Now, I'm leaning towards Arnott 2708 rears paired with some nice springs, and "somebodies" fronts, since Arnott does not make an active Z55 front. Maybe this one:

WELL...it looks like there's only 1 front remaining on Rock Auto?

If by chance Rock Auto is out and none of the other appeal to you, rebuilding shock and replacing spring should make for an fine combo
I used the Arnott's to do my rear. Still trying to sort out the front. But I am about to replace the front hub bearing, pads and rotors and axleshafts. may as well do these as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972