Interior lights not coming on with opening door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KidHauler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Didn’t notice it until a couple days ago since I’m never back in the middle row. When I open a door the front dome lights come on but not the lights around the entertainment center. If I put the switch on “ON” they work. Off works as advertised (they’re off). Switch it to Auto and you might as well have it in off.

Has anyone encountered this before?
2012 Tahoe LT for reference

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiring seems to show A,B, and C pillar dome should all be connected to the same power and ground.

D pillar has a seperate MBEC pinout and seperate ground. Not sure which one is D pillar, but I don't think it's middle row.

If I'm correct, then the problem should be in your gray wire or the switch itself.

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever figure it out? My interior lights turn on with the door open, but I can turn them off when I press the button on the light itself.

And I can't turn the lights on inside with the doors closed, unless I turn the dimmer knob 'on'

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever figure it out? My interior lights turn on with the door open, but I can turn them off when I press the button on the light itself.

And I can't turn the lights on inside with the doors closed, unless I turn the dimmer knob 'on'
which lights? the front or rear? or either one? I any case if they work in all other settings other than manual then you likely have a bad light switch or switches.
they should come on anytime you press the button door open or not, key on or not. IF they have been changed to led it's possible the led's are not a good one and require more voltage to power on.

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So if we're on the same page....

1) You open a door and all the dome lights come on. While the door is open and the lights are on, you push one of the buttons for the map lights on the overhead console and that one map light goes off.

2) While the door is shut and you're sitting in the seat dome lights all off, you push one of the buttons for the map lights on the overhead console and it DOES NOT turn on.

Are those two statements correct?

If the answer is yes I would suspect a bad ground somewhere in the dome light circuit.

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if we're on the same page....

1) You open a door and all the dome lights come on. While the door is open and the lights are on, you push one of the buttons for the map lights on the overhead console and that one map light goes off.

2) While the door is shut and you're sitting in the seat dome lights all off, you push one of the buttons for the map lights on the overhead console and it DOES NOT turn on.

Are those two statements correct?
If the answer is yes I would suspect a bad ground somewhere in the dome light circuit.

I just posted a separate thread with more detailed information. Fuse 17 keeps popping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts