Installing a storage / bed platform for camping in a Tahoe and window insulation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I just found this post! Awesome stuff, as I camp with the Boy Scouts that my son and I are involved with.

Question to all, how the heck do you get the rear gate to open from the inside? I have a retired police Tahoe and do not have a button inside that I can release the rear gate. If it’s connecting some wires or running something to the front I’m all in!

My Dad had an International Scout 2 when I was a kid. He built this exact same thing for us when we went cross country in it as a family vacation.

So so so into building this!

AWESOME!!!!

Paul
5trmtrp

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Ok I just found this post! Awesome stuff, as I camp with the Boy Scouts that my son and I are involved with.

Question to all, how the heck do you get the rear gate to open from the inside? I have a retired police Tahoe and do not have a button inside that I can release the rear gate. If it’s connecting some wires or running something to the front I’m all in!

My Dad had an International Scout 2 when I was a kid. He built this exact same thing for us when we went cross country in it as a family vacation.

So so so into building this!

AWESOME!!!!

Paul
5trmtrp

I actually don't open it from the inside but both the window and hatch are electric so I would guess it shouldn't be to hard to set up a switch someplace. I know my key fob also has a window release on it.

That is a damn good setup man

Thank you.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, my remote has the glass release on it, and my truck being a retired police truck sure as heck doesn’t have a power lift gate.

On my list of mods for this truck, rear lift gate release from the inside.

Im already looking to build this sleeping storing arrangement!

Paul
5trmtpr

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Ok, my remote has the glass release on it, and my truck being a retired police truck sure as heck doesn’t have a power lift gate.

On my list of mods for this truck, rear lift gate release from the inside.

Im already looking to build this sleeping storing arrangement!

Paul
5trmtpr

It is very easy to build you can set it up to work with the second row seating or with no rear seats at all.

I have several configurations that I use.. Most of the time it is the two 4 foot sections with a lift up in the rear and a 3 foot wide that lifts up in the front and a refrigerator.

If you have any questions or need any measurements let me know or if you need any photos.

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
This is with a shorter she;f section in the front allowing room for a refrigerator and the bed still fit on top. With this set up the passenger in the front seat can get to the refrigerator.

Refrigerator.jpeg

You can store all sorts of things under the shelf. This is the rear section lifted up with a 6.5 Grendel AR-15, Luepold scope, 3 leg chair, safety triangles, hiking poles, magazines and a pistol in the black cases and a small axe and under the mid section are two large MTM ammo crates one with a weeks worth of food (for two people) a stove the other create has a pretty complete tool box in between them is a 30 foot recovery rope,tow down jackets, crampons and snow chains.

rifle rack.jpg

With these shelves you can attach any accessories with molle straps. You can see in the following photo they line right up with the shelf.

molle 2.jpg

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Thanks Greystone for showing me this thread ! Nice set up and plenty of new idear for my conversion.
Mine will be different as we'll be 3 plus the Lab, and the floor is completly flat. But Hey! Where woulod be the fun if not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt