Installing a storage / bed platform for camping in a Tahoe and window insulation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
My wife and I sometime like taking a spur of the moment camping trip I just toss in some things and go... I also like to be able to hide things out of view in everyday use and reduce the inside temperature during the day and keeping it warmer at night... These modifications will make camping a lot easier and camp set up almost instant.

I have a rear bench seat I am not sure how well this will work with the rear bucket seats if you have them you may need to be more creative...

Parts list.

1 Metal grate shelf unit 4 feet wide and 24 inches deep and at least 3 feet high.
2 Steel hinges 4 inches wide
8 1/4 inch bolts and locking nuts for the hinges.
1 3/4x 36 inch piece of strap steel.
2 Pieces of carpet 2x4 feet or if you can a 4x4 would be even better.
25 zip ties
1 Roll of Reflectic insulation or bubble insulation.
1 Full size 6 inch foam mattress pad.

You will need a saw / grinder, drill, hammer and maybe a few misc hand tools.

With the third row seats removed and the rear seats folded down you can install the racks to store things under and put a full size bed mattress on top.

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
First measure your seat height when they are folded down. Mine were 11 inches so I cut the shelf legs and made the 4 legs in the shelf kit into 6 legs. On the Tahoe you will need to cut about 2 inches off one of the shelves XL's and burbs can use two complete shelves.

The front shelf will have all four legs installed the rear shelf will be bolted to the front shelf with the hinges, cut the flat 3/4 inch pieces to bolt the hinges in place. The last two legs will be installed in the rear of the shelf.

The photo below is with the shelf folded forward so you can put things under them and for everyday use if you need the extra room for cargo. Notice the rear seats can still be used in the up or down positions.

20170917_170726[1].jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Once the units are bolted together with the hinges installed put the carpet on each shelf and you can hold them in place with zip ties. I also riveted the legs so they can not come out of their holes if you don't have a rivet gun just drill a hole through the shelf the plastic insert and the leg and put a screw through them.

The photo below is ready for the Full size mattress to be installed or for everyday use you can hide a lot of stuff under there. It is also easier to put things in through the window with the raised shelf too. The black things hanging behind the front seats are a 3 gun rifle rack for an SUV they come in handy too.
20170917_170808[1].jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
The next thing is cutting the Reflectic insulation or bubble insulation to fit into the window openings.

Place the material in place and cut it so it is about a 1/2 inch bigger all around so you can slide it under the molding to hold it into place. 20170917_170819[1].jpg

I cut pieces to fit the rear windows, the rear passenger window and the back window. I actually leave them up most of the time to keep the Nevada temperatures down in the sun.

Note: I am not recommending this practice for everyone because it depends on your driving abilities and if you have a rear back up camera. It also may not be legal in your state so be sure to check that too.

It will lower the inside temps dramatically in the sun and help to regulate the temp when camping too. I also have curtains for the driver and passenger side windows to get privacy and use a front window shade to finish it all out.

BE SURE TO LEAVE YOUR DRIVER WINDOWS OPEN ENOUGH TO GET FRESH AIR WHEN SLEEPING.
20170917_170837[1].jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I have thought about blacking out the reflective material with thin cloth or maybe just darker tint in the rear windows. Sometime the reflective material will not be flat and you could put something stiffer behind it to flatten things out. If you are only using it for camping I wouldn't worry about it... lol

Some other tips...

If you have remote starting you can have the air conditioner or heater on and start it remotely if needed while still in bed.

If nature calls in the middle of the night be sure to disarm the alarm if it is locked so you wont wake up everyone in the camp... lol Yes of course it happened to me...

If the rear windows are also left open you can peel the reflective away for some extra air flow too.

I have electric steps that make getting in from the rear doors much easier and you can put your shoes right behind the front seats so they are easy to find when you need them.

Put your keys in the third row drink holder so you can quickly find them.

I hope this will motivate some of you to get out and have some fun with your rig and I hope it will give you some ideas to work with...

If you have any questions let me know and I will try and help you get through them.

Here are a couple photos from my last camping trip last weekend.

20170909_165813[1].jpg

This next photo was my back yard at the camp site in Kennedy meadows. What a beautiful place to camp and fish.

20170910_074145[1].jpg

wjoutlaw

Reaction score
Awesome idea! I go to a lot of rifle competitions and it is simpler to camp on site than find a motel. Even though I can fit everything in the Tahoe I need, this would simplify my set up.

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Awesome idea! I go to a lot of rifle competitions and it is simpler to camp on site than find a motel. Even though I can fit everything in the Tahoe I need, this would simplify my set up.

Plus the rifles and a lot of gear could fit under the shelf too.

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Room for storing chairs, first aid bag extra clothes and other fun stuff.

Last edited:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is AWESOME.

I spent three months full time in my Tahoe. Sunday nights to Friday for 3 months haha.

I made templates out of triple layer cardboard (I spray painted the outsides with flat black paint) and press fit them for window shades and used blackout blinds for the back window and as a curtain behind the front seats. I also used a twin air mattress behind the drivers seat with the second row folded all the way forward, a little tight but at angle was good enough.

Something you should also consider are vent shades. That way you can keep your windows open at night and not worry about rain coming in. In fact, I think I have a spare set of front vents. If you want them, they're yours :)

You can fit a full size air mattress as well, easy to pack and store instead of a full size mattress.
Your frame idea is such a good idea.

I absolutely love the look of your Tahoe. You really need to post more pics of it.

Man, you got me thinking now hahaha.

Awesome job man, it really looks great and is very functional.

I agree, it would be great to see others get out and use the rigs for some fun like this.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's cool, awesome job.

for mine,
i just did limo tint on back windows. then i also got the weathertech full window kit to assist w/ more temp control... very similar to your use.

i still need to figure out lockable storage & maybe a shelf like yours....but my '15 is designed differently.
& my budget sux right now ;) lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645