Input or advice from others on cam swap for 6.2L 2011 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vvt engines run a higher pressure pump than non vvt, that is why people change them out when deleting. That being said, it depends on the mileage on your engine. Anything over 60k, I would change it while I was in there. You can do it without pulling the pan, just need to lower it down and fiddle F,ck you fingers in there to get at the bolt. Just pack the opening with clean towels incase you drop the bolt. Also, don't change to the dog bone tensioner like is common, I just replace with a new gm tensioner assembly. The vvt systems don't like the play in the traditional dog bone conversion a guy does when doing a cam.
I thought the L94’s got a different oil pump than a L92 because of the AFM? The trucks got 120k and it’s almost ready for an oil change so I was thinking it would be a good time to take care of it. It wouldn’t be a big deal to drop the pan because I plan on putting on speed engineering 1 7/8 long tube headers and Y pipe. I check the PIN on rockauto or just order up a oem L92 oil pump

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the L94’s got a different oil pump than a L92 because of the AFM? The trucks got 120k and it’s almost ready for an oil change so I was thinking it would be a good time to take care of it. It wouldn’t be a big deal to drop the pan because I plan on putting on speed engineering 1 7/8 long tube headers and Y pipe. I check the PIN on rockauto or just order up a oem L92 oil pump
I don't change oil pumps when doing a dod delete and keeping the vvt. It is the pressure to work the vvt system that is important, not for the dod.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't change oil pumps when doing a dod delete and keeping the vvt. It is the pressure to work the vvt system that is important, not for the dod.
Perfect I’ll skip it, the wallet bleeding is starting to stop

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that the high volume pump is required because the tolerances in the aluminum block open up further with heat than in a cast iron block because aluminum has a greater thermal expansion rate. When I did mine, I installed the Melling high volume pump (same as the factory spec), even though I was deleting both VVT and AFM. And I'm glad I did because when my engine is hot when towing on a hot day, my oil pressure stays right in the slot at 42-45 psi. But I also see no problem with keeping the pump you have - they'll usually last the life of the engine if they don't get damaged by debris. What I would definitely do though is change the o-ring on the oil pick-up tube because they get hard over time and start sucking air, dropping oil pressure. Buy the fat green one from Melling. You'll need to drop the front of the oil pan to do this, and at that point you might as well take the whole thing off so you can clean it out and apply RTV to the corners so it seals up right when you're done.

Thanks I appreciate your honesty, I’ll go with the stage 1 then. Now that’s settled, I originally set down this path to do a AFM delete on my L94, do I need to swap out oil pumps I heard something about needing to block passages in the sump? I think goetrash had it in his list when he did his swap.
In the oil pan is a pop-off valve to relieve oil pressure spikes as the AFM system operates. Some folks choose to either replace it with a new one (what I did), or install a plug to eliminate the possibility of problems with it later. It's purely optional though and I wouldn't sweat leaving the original. The L94 already has the deflector installed on it to prevent piston ring sticking problems.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Th
My understanding is that the high volume pump is required because the tolerances in the aluminum block open up further with heat than in a cast iron block because aluminum has a greater thermal expansion rate. When I did mine, I installed the Melling high volume pump (same as the factory spec), even though I was deleting both VVT and AFM. And I'm glad I did because when my engine is hot when towing on a hot day, my oil pressure stays right in the slot at 42-45 psi. But I also see no problem with keeping the pump you have - they'll usually last the life of the engine if they don't get damaged by debris. What I would definitely do though is change the o-ring on the oil pick-up tube because they get hard over time and start sucking air, dropping oil pressure. Buy the fat green one from Melling. You'll need to drop the front of the oil pan to do this, and at that point you might as well take the whole thing off so you can clean it out and apply RTV to the corners so it seals up right when you're done.

In the oil pan is a pop-off valve to relieve oil pressure spikes as the AFM system operates. Some folks choose to either replace it with a new one (what I did), or install a plug to eliminate the possibility of problems with it later. It's purely optional though and I wouldn't sweat leaving the original. The L94 already has the deflector installed on it to prevent piston ring sticking problems.
Thanks so much I really appreciate your advice it’s definitely taken some of the anxiety off doing the swap. Thanks again everyone!

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That is really good to know! I ass backwards myself into always running a high pressure/volume pump on aluminum engines I guess! Haha!
I always run higher pressure/volume melling pumps on engine builds as well, learned something new today thanks!
Not sure if you have ever seen the pressure on a dry sump gm engine, they pretty much peg the Guage when cold, super high pressure, so it never scared me to run a high pressure pump, especially with how tight the bearings are on these things.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is really good to know! I ass backwards myself into always running a high pressure/volume pump on aluminum engines I guess! Haha!
I always run higher pressure/volume melling pumps on engine builds as well, learned something new today thanks!
Not sure if you have ever seen the pressure on a dry sump gm engine, they pretty much peg the Guage when cold, super high pressure, so it never scared me to run a high pressure pump, especially with how tight the bearings are on these things.
Probably a dumb question but the cam swap wouldn’t have any effect over fuel choices? I mainly run E85 in the truck because its usually 30-40% cheaper than 92 and I like how the truck responds to it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Na, nothing to worry about.
+1. E85 has a higher octane rating between 100 and 105, so you’re good there. But you will need to run at least 91 from now on after the cam swap and tune if you’re not running E85. Lots of examples of grenaded 6.2’s run on lower octane fuel under load. And that goes double after a cam swap and tune.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1. E85 has a higher octane rating between 100 and 105, so you’re good there. But you will need to run at least 91 from now on after the cam swap and tune if you’re not running E85. Lots of examples of grenaded 6.2’s run on lower octane fuel under load. And that goes double after a cam swap and tune.
I’ll let the wife know it’ll be much more critical after the works done but she knows not to put anything other then E85/92+. I’m usually the one filling it up anyways, she just brings it back like a rental car with a 1/4 tank that’s been rode hard and put away wet…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vadenA77