Input or advice from others on cam swap for 6.2L 2011 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VVT is awesome for dds.

Not a good choice for more radical cams. anything with a decent stall also defeats the purpose.

My 6.2 with cam in sig leaps out hard barely touching throttle. Cam is advanced 7 degrees til 4800 rpm.

The software can only retard the cam. So you grind a bunch of advance in then retard the cam at higher rpm. Mine goes 7 to 0 advance by 6500 rpm.

I specced it myself and its low 5 second 0-60 which is insane NA on a 6k truck with no stall.

Last edited:

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VVT is awesome for dds.

Not a good choice for more radical cams. anything with a decent stall also defeats the purpose.

My 6.2 with cam in sig leaps out hard barely touching throttle. Cam is advanced 7 degrees til 4800 rpm.

The software can only retard the cam. So you grind a bunch of advance in then retard the cam at higher rpm. Mine goes 7 to 0 advance by 6500 rpm.

I specced it myself and its low 5 second 0-60 which is insane NA on a 6k truck with no stall.

Do you have any 0-60 videos, I'd like to see how yours behaves compares to mine. I live at 6000 ft above sea level, and I'm hitting 60 somewhere between 5-6 seconds.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the VVT. You can make more power with a smaller cam and have better drivability by keeping it (this is not saying you can make more power a big ole fat lopey cam but the curves are very different). Go drive an older Denali with the 6.0L and you'll feel how it just doesn't get out of it's own way taking off from a stop until you hit 3k RPM. I've got a pretty mild cam in mine and is feels fantastic. I used a Comp Cams 156-401-13 (also make sure you get the phaser limiter). I did not want to have to use an aftermarket torque converter either and it wasn't necessary with this cam.

The biggest thing for me in doing the cam swap was freshening up the "wear" parts on the engine like the lifters, oil pump, timing chain, valve springs, all the gaskets, etc. I used hardened pushrods even, replaced the cam actuator with a new one, and used ARP head bolts. I didn't want to worry about anything.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any 0-60 videos, I'd like to see how yours behaves compares to mine. I live at 6000 ft above sea level, and I'm hitting 60 somewhere between 5-6 seconds.

Yeah, I timed it 0-60 with HPTuners at 5.3 seconds. I can probably eek another tenth out of it with my e85 and some trans tuning.

Also I think just stomping the gas might flash the stall better, I will try that once I fix my dumb lifter issue.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I timed it 0-60 with HPTuners at 5.3 seconds. I can probably eek another tenth out of it with my e85 and some trans tuning.

Also I think just stomping the gas might flash the stall better, I will try that once I fix my dumb lifter issue.

Nice!
I will get a video of mine here soon. I'm still trying to get used to the extra power I have, it's hard to take my eyes off the road while I have the pedal smashed to the floor, haha

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am surprised tsp suggested the vvt delete. The 6.2 is an absolute monster with an aftermarket vvt cam, I personally haven't delete vvt in a 6.2 truck for a few years now. The last one I did was a tsp stage 2 in a 2010 sierra denali, and the thing pulls more like it has a screw supercharger, than a cam.

I am actually putting together a 418 stroker with a tsp stage 3 vvt cam right now. I know for a fact it will give up some top end power, but have a hunch it will be the most amazing powerband ever created.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am surprised tsp suggested the vvt delete. The 6.2 is an absolute monster with an aftermarket vvt cam, I personally haven't delete vvt in a 6.2 truck for a few years now. The last one I did was a tsp stage 2 in a 2010 sierra denali, and the thing pulls more like it has a screw supercharger, than a cam.

I am actually putting together a 418 stroker with a tsp stage 3 vvt cam right now. I know for a fact it will give up some top end power, but have a hunch it will be the most amazing powerband ever created.

I can't imagine how awesome a bigger VVT cam is. Mine is a baby and it pulls nice. The powerband would be so broad if I could add some overlap. I don't want a loping monster for my DD kid hauler though lol.

OP
OP
Denaliz

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk about back from the dead thread revival..
(Built a pool and outdoor patio vs go fast fun)

So I’m pulling the trigger this week on my cam package but decided I’m going to go ahead and do a supercharger at the same time:cool:

I believe I’m going with the tsp cam package linked in my 1st post on this thread with long tube headers

Guessing I’ll go with the maggy tvs1900 since they stopped making the tvs 2600 for my 2011 Yukon Denali :mad:

Anyone by chance have a combo suggestion or feedback?

OP
OP
Denaliz

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping this thread in hopes of a response. I spoke to TSP again about a cam package that will play nice with the supercharger getting installed at the same time.

They’re really pushing me it seems to do a VVT delete. Below is their suggestion:

We would recommend a dod delete and vvt Delete and our stage 1 l92 cam. Will give a great boost in performance. Here are the links

Dod delete
Add 6.2 head gaskets
Add head studs
Add l92 valley
Add 16 lifters
Leave rest as is

Vvt Delete
Leave as is

Cam kit
Add stg1 216/228 cam
Add gm 0303 oil pump
Leave rest as is

I plan on having any needed maintenance refreshing, steering rack and 2/3 suspension drop done while they have the truck for the cam package the SC install. Leaning towards BB for the updated tune as well.

Thanks again for any info guys in advance

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bumping this thread in hopes of a response. I spoke to TSP again about a cam package that will play nice with the supercharger getting installed at the same time.

They’re really pushing me it seems to do a VVT delete. Below is their suggestion:

We would recommend a dod delete and vvt Delete and our stage 1 l92 cam. Will give a great boost in performance. Here are the links

Dod delete
Add 6.2 head gaskets
Add head studs
Add l92 valley
Add 16 lifters
Leave rest as is

Vvt Delete
Leave as is

Cam kit
Add stg1 216/228 cam
Add gm 0303 oil pump
Leave rest as is

I plan on having any needed maintenance refreshing, steering rack and 2/3 suspension drop done while they have the truck for the cam package the SC install. Leaning towards BB for the updated tune as well.

Thanks again for any info guys in advance
So that cam is 'compatible' with the 6.2, which is not the same thing as optimized for it. I learned this lesson with my own cam swap a couple of years ago. The flow dynamics of the heads on the 6.2 are significantly different and the exhaust system is different. You will leave power on the table with that setup. I deleted VVT on mine and haven't missed it but others say they're glad they kept it. With a supercharger though, I don't think you'll miss VVT one iota.

If I were in your shoes, I would give Cam Motion a call and tell them what you have and what you want to do. They can spec a cam for you that's dead nuts on and optimized for your future setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission