Input or advice from others on cam swap for 6.2L 2011 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Denaliz

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that cam is 'compatible' with the 6.2, which is not the same thing as optimized for it. I learned this lesson with my own cam swap a couple of years ago. The flow dynamics of the heads on the 6.2 are significantly different and the exhaust system is different. You will leave power on the table with that setup. I deleted VVT on mine and haven't missed it but others say they're glad they kept it. With a supercharger though, I don't think you'll miss VVT one iota.

If I were in your shoes, I would give Cam Motion a call and tell them what you have and what you want to do. They can spec a cam for you that's dead nuts on and optimized for your future setup.
Much appreciated- I’ll reach out to them today.

OP
OP
Denaliz

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Geotrash
I emailed back and forth with the cam motion guys and below was his suggestion. Almost sounded to me like he thought the whole cam swap would be a waste.. but I could very well have read into something not there.

So ill start by saying, if i cam this setup for the supercharger it will be extremely lazy if you try to run it N/A. heres the camshaft i would like to see you use,

218/230
116+4
.586''/.586'' Lift with 1.7

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that's a VVT cam, it should be a pretty nice upgrade. That's a little bigger than mine (my LSA is 114 though) and I'm very happy with mine. If that's not a VVT cam, it'll probably feel like a dog below 3k RPM.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Geotrash
I emailed back and forth with the cam motion guys and below was his suggestion. Almost sounded to me like he thought the whole cam swap would be a waste.. but I could very well have read into something not there.

Cam Motion doesn't make VVT cams so it's almost certainly a 3-bolt. I have a 3-bolt Stage 2 truck cam from Cam Motion in my 2012 n/a 6.2 and it's anything *but* lazy below 3K. The way I read his comments is that he's trying to set your expectations appropriately. If you get that particular cam and *don't* get around to putting a supercharger on it, then you probably won't be happy with the results because it's designed for forced induction. That's normal and good advice. That LSA should give you a smooth idle as well. With .586 lift though, you'll probably want matched dual valve springs.

OP
OP
Denaliz

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cam Motion doesn't make VVT cams so it's almost certainly a 3-bolt. I have a 3-bolt Stage 2 truck cam from Cam Motion in my 2012 n/a 6.2 and it's anything *but* lazy below 3K. The way I read his comments is that he's trying to set your expectations appropriately. If you get that particular cam and *don't* get around to putting a supercharger on it, then you probably won't be happy with the results because it's designed for forced induction. That's normal and good advice. That LSA should give you a smooth idle as well. With .586 lift though, you'll probably want matched dual valve springs.
Awesome- thanks for the detailed info. It totally makes sense that a cam meant to work in conjunction/w a SC isn’t what you’d want as a stand alone if you scratched doing the sc.

I asked CM put together a cam swap package they’d recommend. If they don’t then I’ll prob ask for guidance putting together my own.

I’m having both done at the same time as well as some custom fabrication to the interior, upgrades and sound system update. My fab/interior and audio guys have a LS performance shop close to them so I can do it all at once.

They do some amazing killer custom consoles, interior and car audio builds for classic, exotic and daily drivers. They did the work in my avatar few years ago.

I bought my ride new in 11 w/ the plans to make it a long term play toy I can have fun with. Only took me 11 years to get around to finalizing it all.

I appreciate your help and info!

OP
OP
Denaliz

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I should prob go ahead and get my 2/3 drop parts ordered since front coilovers coming out to replace oem air ride struts I had put in a year ago. Still blows me away they both locked up right at 12 months after replacing the entire front coilovers w/ gm parts excluding the strut mounts. I bit the bullet and ordered gm strut mounts as well so it’s all oem gm parts.

Swear I’m spending money like a coke fueled stripper it seems

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome- thanks for the detailed info. It totally makes sense that a cam meant to work in conjunction/w a SC isn’t what you’d want as a stand alone if you scratched doing the sc.

I asked CM put together a cam swap package they’d recommend. If they don’t then I’ll prob ask for guidance putting together my own.

I’m having both done at the same time as well as some custom fabrication to the interior, upgrades and sound system update. My fab/interior and audio guys have a LS performance shop close to them so I can do it all at once.

They do some amazing killer custom consoles, interior and car audio builds for classic, exotic and daily drivers. They did the work in my avatar few years ago.

I bought my ride new in 11 w/ the plans to make it a long term play toy I can have fun with. Only took me 11 years to get around to finalizing it all.

I appreciate your help and info!
That interior work looks great!

Sure, happy to help you spec out the parts when the time comes. My guess is they will only spec the cam for you.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
218/230
116+4

This cam is way too big for our heavy trucks. Yes, with a supercharger on it, it would be
fine. But getting it idle and behave would be very time consuming...
WITH a supercharger, you DON'T need a crap load of cam... Unless it's a race
vehicle operating at higher rpms
The 116* Lobe Sep is ideal for a forced induction and will work great on NA too

The main thing with Forced Induction is that you need your exhaust profile to
"work" as in the intake doesn't care as it's being forced into the chambers

IMO, that particular cam is just too big. FI or NA.....
Reduce the duration by about 6* and you'll be fine, and it will work with either situation

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
218/230
116+4

This cam is way too big for our heavy trucks. Yes, with a supercharger on it, it would be
fine. But getting it idle and behave would be very time consuming...
WITH a supercharger, you DON'T need a crap load of cam... Unless it's a race
vehicle operating at higher rpms
The 116* Lobe Sep is ideal for a forced induction and will work great on NA too

The main thing with Forced Induction is that you need your exhaust profile to
"work" as in the intake doesn't care as it's being forced into the chambers

IMO, that particular cam is just too big. FI or NA.....
Reduce the duration by about 6* and you'll be fine, and it will work with either situation
I also agree with this assessment that it's too big of a cam. I'm bummed Cam Motion wasn't more exacting in their analysis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401