Inexpensive upgrades/changes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are some of the cheaper mods I can do to the 5.7 and gain some performance? I already have a CAI that came with the truck. I am looking to stay under $100 if possible. And also, what mod in that range provides the biggest bang for the buck?

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I ever did to my truck performance wise, was put a K&N air cleaner in it. Under a $100 bucks, problem solved!

OP
OP
S

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I ever did to my truck performance wise, was put a K&N air cleaner in it. Under a $100 bucks, problem solved!
I already have that on it. Luckily it came with the truck. I know there are a ton of things to do over $100, but that's kind of my limit on this issue.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is nothing that you can do with $100 that will make any noticeable difference, performance-wise. Noise-wise, you've already done it.

The best performance bang for the buck is a Bleak Bear performance tune, and that will run you about $650.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best money spent is to be sure what you have is running as good as it can. Checking fuel pressure, servicing filters, check distributor cap and rotor, replace old spark plug wires, check distributor offset, clean throttle body.
I had a K&N air filter, never saw any benefit threw it away and put a good WIX air filter in.

OP
OP
S

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best money spent is to be sure what you have is running as good as it can. Checking fuel pressure, servicing filters, check distributor cap and rotor, replace old spark plug wires, check distributor offset, clean throttle body.
I had a K&N air filter, never saw any benefit threw it away and put a good WIX air filter in.
I have done so much already and it runs good now. I changed the distributer cap, rotor, plugs, wires, cam sensor, crank sensor, coil, fuel filter, ac compressor, master cylinder, power steering lines, dual exhaust and a new stereo. The new stereo isn't adding any power but it sounds good. I have a few other things I would like to do, but that will wait until I can build some funds back up. I would like to get some new cats installed and a new fuel pump. Neither one are needed at the moment, but I would like to be pre-emptive with them. Then I can focus on getting things like a dash overlay, seat recovered and maybe some paint and new wheels. Just takes time and money to do. But right now, it starts everytime, runs great, sounds great and gets me where I need to go.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done so much already and it runs good now. I changed the distributer cap, rotor, plugs, wires, cam sensor, crank sensor, coil, fuel filter, ac compressor, master cylinder, power steering lines, dual exhaust and a new stereo. The new stereo isn't adding any power but it sounds good. I have a few other things I would like to do, but that will wait until I can build some funds back up. I would like to get some new cats installed and a new fuel pump. Neither one are needed at the moment, but I would like to be pre-emptive with them. Then I can focus on getting things like a dash overlay, seat recovered and maybe some paint and new wheels. Just takes time and money to do. But right now, it starts everytime, runs great, sounds great and gets me where I need to go.
One thing that this post reminded me of. Stainless braided brake lines! Looking at the 25 year old rubber ones on my ride, I’m thinking the braided lines would be inexpensive, and a good mod.

OP
OP
S

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing that this post reminded me of. Stainless braided brake lines! Looking at the 25 year old rubber ones on my ride, I’m thinking the braided lines would be inexpensive, and a good mod.
That might be good to look into. Stopping better is always a plus.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are some of the cheaper mods I can do to the 5.7 and gain some performance? I already have a CAI that came with the truck. I am looking to stay under $100 if possible. And also, what mod in that range provides the biggest bang for the buck?

Is it really a CAI? This acronym/term gets thrown around way too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094