I'm Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If my 2022 6.2 has DFM, I never even knew. I found it atrocious on my parents' 2010 LTZ and my ex's 2015 LT. I still feel blissfully ignorant because I can't even tell its there.

I seriously thought about getting a Kia, and then I realized how dumb of an idea that was.

Hrocks

Reaction score
As a former owner of 2 genesis vehicles (2016 Hyundai Genesis Ultimate and a 2018 Genesis G80 Sport) I can tell you both the purchasing and service experience were atrocious. Even though a lot of dealers are now “Genesis” dealers, its still a Hyundai dealership.

Even the service department is a Hyundai service department…and that was another ordeal. Each repair or recall took at least two visits to fix properly and if you’re banking on concierge service, it not once was able to be used for me. It was a several month wait for concierge pickup, where as a regular drop off service had a 2-3 day wait. I also was never able to get a loaner car, even pre-pandemic

Hyundai make pretty cars and suvs but the dealer experience was the epitome of the ‘shady car dealership’ stereotype.
I almost bit on purchasing a GV80...twice. First in December of '20 then a year later at another dealership. While it had ALL the bells and whistles one could want, it was too small and neither of the salesmen could work the all-encompassing infotainment system. At $74k, that was a concern, but one that I was almost ready to "settle" for. (BTW, now these clowns are tacking on a $5-$10k "market adjustment" even on their Hyundai and Kia SUV's.) As you pointed out, these vehicles are being sold and serviced by the same crews that sell and service entry level $16k cars. Besides, once I got back into my 4 year old Lexus GX, I realized that they were from two different planets. I never bit...I have '21 and '16 GX460's and my TRUSTY 2010 Tahoe LTZ...IMO, the best of the breed.

Pertzbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GV80 is not the same class as a Yukon. More similar is size to an Acadia or Buick Enclave. It's just smaller.

I'd be looking at Lexus - GX or LX. Or wait for new Toyota Sequoia, Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX80, Jeep Grand Wagoneer, etc

Last edited:

PaulGA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call me old school too, I really dislike the new styling of all the Genesis models. I LOVED the styling of my old G80 Sport. It was more simplified and refined looking and always got mistaken for a car worth many times more than it was worth. Even in '18, the tech was fine, lack of wireless carplay/Android Auto was a bummer but I rarely use them anyway so it really didn't impact me much.

It was the sales and service experience that soured me on that car and I got out of my lease early last year without losing money. Once I moved, the nearest hyundai/genesis dealer is over an hour away which also sucked considering the premium concierge service was never available.

I pulled the trigger on a '22 Denali on Friday and taking delivery on Wednesday *fingers crossed*, been driving the family Acadia Denali for the past year which has been nice, but looking forward to the Yukon

GBF1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good luck with your new RIDE. I would love to get a new Denali, but will not pay surcharges and add ons. I`m lucky mine still runs well. I just can't believe some of the compromises I hear of people making when buying an $80,000 Vehicle. And some of these dealers act like they are doing you a favor. For $80 Grand, you should get exactly what you want unless you really need something right away.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your money, your choice. I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to buy.

chevylade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a 2010 Hyundai new and just sold it this month. Over the 11 years that I owned it, the Hyundai was far more reliable than any of my GM vehicles (1 Yukon, 2 Escalades, 1 SRX, and a C7 Corvette). The Hyundai dealers didn’t compare positively to my Cadillac dealer but the Hyundai dealer wasn’t any worse than the Chevy dealerships. The advantage of the Hyundai is that other than normal maintenance items (oil changes) I rarely had to deal with the dealership because the car was so reliable. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the Genesis if I were in the market for one.

Like the OP @carterchapman, I’ve decided I won’t give GM my money for their new vehicles. I currently own two Escalades and am in the market for a rust free Tahoe or Yukon and will only buy the earlier generations as they were far better and simpler than the newer designs, IMHO.

Last edited:

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you ask me, but only if you ask…
Isn’t that a downgrade…. Don’t think i can fathom that…. DFM is not an issue to me.

Its like dating the hottest girl but only flaw is she’s got a toe longer than the big toe…

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to say this, but after owning 3 wonderful Denali's, DFM has run me out of the 6.2 market, chip shortage has run me out of the ease of ordering and getting delivery, and 3.0 availability has me at the Genesis dealer. I'm going to be a new GV80 owner.

I will miss owning a Denali, but GM has run me off. I have a C8, so I can "enjoy" DFM with that.

No matter where you go, you will be waiting on a new vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman