Faulty Lifters took out my Escalade 2021 - 2 Trucks Down and Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maddocmatt

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice here. I have had a ton of miserable experiences with the new platform. I had purchased a Yukon Denali 2021 that was lemoned in Colorado after 4k miles for not starting and stranding my family and I 4 times. You can read about my experiences in this thread if you are up for a horror story.

After that experience, I ended up getting an Escalade ESV Sport as the replacement vehicle. No Yukon Denali's at the time because of the ongoing chip shortage. After 13000 miles, last week I went outside and heard the very audible ticking noise coming from the engine (left side driver to be exact). I had known about the TSB regarding the faulty lifters for builds between Sept 2020 and Mar 2021. Well after 2 days I was able to get into the dealership and it's the lifter issue with whatever damage has been done.

So I was lucky that I made it to the dealership but here I am again without my truck, almost stranded (I know what happens if you don't get it in fast), and the service center is telling me they don't know how long it's going to be because they can't get the head gasket because of lack parts.

My questions are this:

1. Does anybody have any recommendations to contact a district manager, gm corporate or anybody?
2. After two major issues with this new platform, I am seriously contemplating suing. I know under most circumstances that is just stupid angry people talking but these are serious issues and I have had two of them. Stranded, lemoned vehicle and now an engine rebuild and 13k miles
3. Even if they fix the lifters what else am I looking at? Should I just dump the truck? The sales guy that sold me the rig said he would trade me out but you can't get Escalades right now so I am still screwed

Anyway, thanks for the rant and hope others have some advice even if not the same experiences.

Matt

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Problem is, they made you whole by taking the first one back under lemon law. The lifter issue doesn’t mean a full rebuild, just updated injectors, new trays and some gaskets. The lack of parts is not something you can sue over because everyone just blames it on Covid anyway and that’s even if you can get a day in court because of well, you know, covid.
If anything I’d be asking if they can just use some Felpro or Mahl gaskets just to get you going again. If it goes to the higher ups they’ll never approve it but talk to the service writer on the side. Sorry you’re having this kinda luck but if I didn’t know any better I’d say we must be related. Good luck but please don’t go to the dark side, Ford!

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand wanting to get a different vehicle. But the dealer should give you a rental at GMs buck while waiting or parts and repair.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice here. I have had a ton of miserable experiences with the new platform. I had purchased a Yukon Denali 2021 that was lemoned in Colorado after 4k miles for not starting and stranding my family and I 4 times. You can read about my experiences in this thread if you are up for a horror story.

After that experience, I ended up getting an Escalade ESV Sport as the replacement vehicle. No Yukon Denali's at the time because of the ongoing chip shortage. After 13000 miles, last week I went outside and heard the very audible ticking noise coming from the engine (left side driver to be exact). I had known about the TSB regarding the faulty lifters for builds between Sept 2020 and Mar 2021. Well after 2 days I was able to get into the dealership and it's the lifter issue with whatever damage has been done.

So I was lucky that I made it to the dealership but here I am again without my truck, almost stranded (I know what happens if you don't get it in fast), and the service center is telling me they don't know how long it's going to be because they can't get the head gasket because of lack parts.

My questions are this:

1. Does anybody have any recommendations to contact a district manager, gm corporate or anybody?
2. After two major issues with this new platform, I am seriously contemplating suing. I know under most circumstances that is just stupid angry people talking but these are serious issues and I have had two of them. Stranded, lemoned vehicle and now an engine rebuild and 13k miles
3. Even if they fix the lifters what else am I looking at? Should I just dump the truck? The sales guy that sold me the rig said he would trade me out but you can't get Escalades right now so I am still screwed

Anyway, thanks for the rant and hope others have some advice even if not the same experiences.

Matt
If you ask the service advisor that is handling your truck's issues for the number of the regional GM rep, he/she will give it to you. At least my guy did when I had an issue with stuck rings on my ‘07 Yukon.

I agree with Snowbound that there are a few excellent non-OE manufacturers who make head gaskets that I wouldn't hesitate to use (actually not sure about 2021-22, but likely). I think the only concern I would have is making sure they just didn't use whatever gasket was in stock at their local FLAPS. One of our most experienced and knowledgeable members who decided to install an AFM Delete kit in his Denali (replacing the AFM lifters and cam with non AFM versions) had his cam supplier provide the lifter trays (non-OE) and had a lifter turn and wipe out the cam, so making sure you are getting a top quality aftermarket part is really important.

On suing, you can sue anyone at any time. Winning a lawsuit is a little trickier. I think your best bet would be to talk to an attorney who specializes in product lawsuits, ideally one who really knows the automobile beat. There is a class action lawsuit on the lifter issue that was already filed, the attorney's who handle those kind of cases are usually thrilled to have additional plaintiff's. You might google that case and see if you can get to the law firm that is handling it. I would say many times those kinds of cases (being done strictly on the come), end up being a living for the firm and not much to show for the plaintiff's.

On the lifter specific issue, my local dealership service advisor told me they have gotten extended warranties (I think something like 6/100K) on the powertrains of most of the trucks they have replaced the lifters on. The customer has to request it (he said it won't be offered without a request), but when requested (and ironically he said the dealership has to approve), they have gotten the extension. Definitely worth asking about.

You should also insist in a loaner. You may have to talk to GM regional people to get it, but again, worth asking about. Keep all your records if you end up paying for things out of your pocket like a rental. GM has reimbursed others for those expenses.

OP
OP
M

maddocmatt

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I’m not going to sue. Just frustrated because I feel like I’m just getting jerked around.

They did get me a rental and are covering those expenses. Not much else though. I mean the fact is over the last 12 months I feel like I live in the gm service center. And time is the one thing you can’t be made whole on.

Truth is there isn’t a comparable vehicle out there. We camp, pull a side by side, and haul kids galore. I mean this rig is perfect. Just not reliable.

Any thoughts on once the lifter are replaced is this really good to go or are other issues coming at me?

I am really trying to at least get both sides done instead of just the failed side. I mean the risk is that the truck was exposed to this batch of bad lifters, why would I take the chance of being without the vehicle for another 2-3 weeks while we wait on parts and stuff. It’s there and torn apart so just do it all at once right??

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in a similar situation. I don’t think there is an equivalent replacement outside the expedition (perhaps the 23 Sequoia) given our seating requirements and I’m not excited to jump into an inflated market. One could back date to a GMT900 K2500 Suburban that didn’t have that issue, but not excited to get into a higher mileage vehicle.

That being said we have started to consider Sprinter and AWD Ecoboost transits which would work but would require a full build out. We are also considering getting a third vehicle (a 96-06 suburban funny enough) but I don’t need another driveway Tetris piece.

I’ve been without our Suburban for 3.5 weeks with loaner.

I will be requesting back pay for rental and extended warranty but because I’m in the last year of a CPO warranty and not a new vehicle, I’m not getting my hopes up.

I’m also pricing out AFM/DOD delete.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I’m not going to sue. Just frustrated because I feel like I’m just getting jerked around.

They did get me a rental and are covering those expenses. Not much else though. I mean the fact is over the last 12 months I feel like I live in the gm service center. And time is the one thing you can’t be made whole on.

Truth is there isn’t a comparable vehicle out there. We camp, pull a side by side, and haul kids galore. I mean this rig is perfect. Just not reliable.

Any thoughts on once the lifter are replaced is this really good to go or are other issues coming at me?

I am really trying to at least get both sides done instead of just the failed side. I mean the risk is that the truck was exposed to this batch of bad lifters, why would I take the chance of being without the vehicle for another 2-3 weeks while we wait on parts and stuff. It’s there and torn apart so just do it all at once right??
My local dealership had a bunch of the 2021 lifter replacements. They had one customer who bought a slug of early 2021’s for a fleet right smack dab in the middle of the bad lifter window. They learned alongside GM as they went, first replacing just the failed lifter, then doing a bank at a time and finally realizing if they did all 16, none would come back for replacement of one they hadn’t done yet. Other than the occasional pushrod, most just took lifters and trays (and new gaskets of course), they had zero other issues. Cams all looked good and have performed fine in the field after the lifter work.

I think once you get those lifters replaced, odds are things will be fine. It does seem like the “COVID Lemon” thing is real in a few cases, where it seems one thing after another keeps cropping up. But based on the number of people who come on, post their lifter woes and then never are heard from again, likely most don’t have ongoing issues. My 2021 6.2L Sierra has been fault free, knock on wood. :)

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I don’t understand the position there’s no comparable vehicles? Ford /Lincoln and Jeep come to mind if you want a domestic brand.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem is, they made you whole by taking the first one back under lemon law. The lifter issue doesn’t mean a full rebuild, just updated injectors, new trays and some gaskets. The lack of parts is not something you can sue over because everyone just blames it on Covid anyway and that’s even if you can get a day in court because of well, you know, covid.
If anything I’d be asking if they can just use some Felpro or Mahl gaskets just to get you going again. If it goes to the higher ups they’ll never approve it but talk to the service writer on the side. Sorry you’re having this kinda luck but if I didn’t know any better I’d say we must be related. Good luck but please don’t go to the dark side, Ford!
they're ust using covid as an excuse not to pay workers a decent wage

21TahoeDisappoint

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I dumped the Tahoe and got a Lincoln Navigator. Could not be happier. I like it better - except it doesn't have four wheel drive. I probably can do without it fine.