Faulty Lifters took out my Escalade 2021 - 2 Trucks Down and Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

maddocmatt

Reaction score
There are definitely systemic problems. No technicians to do the work. No service staff to answer the damn phone. No status updates. No parts. And the party goes on. I can’t believe I’m fighting to just get the trick to have both sides of lifters fixed so I’m not doing this in a week.

As for comparable vehicles, the expedition and navigator aren’t even close to carrying capacity to the esv.

Just a lifestyle thing. Maybe it’s time to throw in the towel and just buy a Prius or something .

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, same in the Midwest. My dealer says people will not touch SUV's used if they are not all or 4WD. He said don't ever order one, even if you'll never use it...

peyc2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice here. I have had a ton of miserable experiences with the new platform. I had purchased a Yukon Denali 2021 that was lemoned in Colorado after 4k miles for not starting and stranding my family and I 4 times. You can read about my experiences in this thread if you are up for a horror story.

After that experience, I ended up getting an Escalade ESV Sport as the replacement vehicle. No Yukon Denali's at the time because of the ongoing chip shortage. After 13000 miles, last week I went outside and heard the very audible ticking noise coming from the engine (left side driver to be exact). I had known about the TSB regarding the faulty lifters for builds between Sept 2020 and Mar 2021. Well after 2 days I was able to get into the dealership and it's the lifter issue with whatever damage has been done.

So I was lucky that I made it to the dealership but here I am again without my truck, almost stranded (I know what happens if you don't get it in fast), and the service center is telling me they don't know how long it's going to be because they can't get the head gasket because of lack parts.

My questions are this:

1. Does anybody have any recommendations to contact a district manager, gm corporate or anybody?
2. After two major issues with this new platform, I am seriously contemplating suing. I know under most circumstances that is just stupid angry people talking but these are serious issues and I have had two of them. Stranded, lemoned vehicle and now an engine rebuild and 13k miles
3. Even if they fix the lifters what else am I looking at? Should I just dump the truck? The sales guy that sold me the rig said he would trade me out but you can't get Escalades right now so I am still screwed

Anyway, thanks for the rant and hope others have some advice even if not the same experiences.

Matt
I just went through this in early December 2021 with my 2021 Tahoe. GM does pay for a car rental, but here's the issue, it must be a GM car, the only one I could find was a 2020 Tahoe at an Enterprise. GM said they only pay $45.00 per day, and the only car I could find was $70.00 per day, however when i made the claim, they gave me the $70.00 per day. So, you have that information.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand the position there’s no comparable vehicles? Ford /Lincoln and Jeep come to mind if you want a domestic brand.
My local dealer has a lot of Wagoneers and Grands on the lot.....

yogi11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I dumped the Tahoe and got a Lincoln Navigator. Could not be happier. I like it better - except it doesn't have four wheel drive. I probably can do without it fine.
I got a 2021 tahoe in June and then found out about the lifter problem. Not feeling confident about this vehicle, I sold it only after putting 800 mile on it. I then got a Lincoln Navigator and love it.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM has removed the limit on rental reimbursement.

I recommend contacting the BBB auto line https://www.auto.bbbnp.org/

It is slow moving but so far has been a great help with our issues. Just waiting to find a VIN for our lemon replacement.

OP
OP
M

maddocmatt

Reaction score
Thought I would update the thread. Dealership fixed three failed bank only. 1-3-5-7. The clowns from corporate did cover a Yukon Denali 2021 from enterprise in full while my truck was down. Not much else though.

Overall, I guess we will see what happens. Not many options on the table right now. Can’t get a new rig because they are like unicorns. I do love my truck just bummed this stuff keeps happening.

drmoose

Reaction score
Can't tell you what will happen with you, but...

Our vehicle has been in for service 63 days in the first year, for the camera/electronics system 1st, then bad lifters (one side replaced), then the transmission head unit. While it was in there for the transmission, they checked the engine and found misfiring too, and managed to get approval for replacing the other side of the lifters.

After the transmission I decided (and succeeded) in getting GM to agree to replace. I am a bit nervous about experiencing this all again on a new vehicle, but those three systems going bad in 12 months seems beyond excessive, and I can't say it is exactly running perfect - I am not convinced there isn't an ongoing transmission issue, and one camera goes in and out.

I did manage to get 6yr/100k+ warranty out of each system (except the transmission, which I didn't try), so I would absolutely push that route if I were you. I don't think you will have luck with the other side of lifters (I pushed for that and didn't get anywhere), but if you try, at least you will be set up for them being replaced if there is a slight problem with the engine, especially if your service advisor is decent. AS far as GM springing for a rental, I haven't had to push for that - at least my dealer automatically arranges something. They definitely should do more. I initially got some traction by posting on the GM Facebook page, but they also have an email ([email protected]) and a number (1-866-636-2273). Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345