I thought I blew up my transmission because my truck would not move …….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang! Never heard or seen this.

Where the calipers ever removed at any point? I know the front calipers on my 99 Silverado specs are like 150 lb-ft or something like that. And the bolts have some sort of thread locker. Admittedly, I have only re tightened them spec but have never reinstalled any thread locker compound.

I've never removed the rears though. They are still the original at 270k miles. A long time ago my mechanic replaced an axle shaft that got bent when I got a curb on a patch of ice. I guess one rear caliper at least got removed and reinstalled...
You are right and especially these bolds never get loose when tight properly. There is not much vibration and due to the permanent heat change, water and dirt, they rather have the tendency to get rust tight, then to loosen themself. I would also speculate, they were never tightened properly, since last mount...

Last edited:

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of amazes me the torque values on some of these bolts and nuts. Old days just pull it tight and run it, 150 ftlbs is more than "tight."

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The main tendence is bad maintenance... :oops:
the main thing here is that critical parts like braking need to have proper bolt torque, over/under causes things like this.
millions of these on the road this should never happen.
It had to have taken some time for those bolts to come out, little by little there should have been some associated noise, click, clank, vibration, rattle.. something

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And it seems like some blue loctite would have a good purpose here.
you'd almost think the bolts were cleaned off. even after 175,000 miles and new brakes every year on my 97 3500 pick up where you cant get the caliper pins out so you need to take the caliper with its bracket, every damn time it took way more force to get them broke free with the factory loctite still on there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019