Buying 06 Z71 in limp mode because of leak from transmission to transfer case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keatonmx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am considering buying this 06' with the issue above. He tells me that it is in limp mode and will only drive to 2nd/3rd gear and he had to flutter the gas and coast. He tells me that Firestone said it is a leak from the transmission to transfer case, and it needs to be sealed. he said adding fluid did not put it out of limp mode. the price is $1500, "my loss your gain" story. Does this seem too risky to buy or should I wait? having a hard time finding anything decent, and the Z71 is nice. Thanks..

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a good deal if overall condition of vehicle is good.

My advice: plan on a transmission rebuild.

You can find GMT800s with blown 4L60e transmissions here all day long being sold for cheap, some in very good shape, but most are average or poor condition.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guaranteed that transmission is gone so consider if it’s still worth it to you to replace or rebuild it on top of the cost.

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go buy a cheap code reader, then go check it out. See what the codes are and google them. That will give you a good idea and maybe be able to negotiate. Though, if the body is clean and the vehicle is in decent shape, $1500 is a good deal. Trans can be rebuilt pretty cheap, and a used one is even cheaper. Labor of remove/install is what will add to it.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think of the truck is cosmetically in good shape, the paint hasn’t or isn’t starting to fail (this would be the biggest concern for me) and the interior is clean, $1500 would be a good price and then spend $3k more on a transmission and you’ve got a solid truck. I would worry about buying an older 4L60 at this point so that worry would then be gone. Some mechanical fixes like suspension or leaks would be expected probably on any of these up to 2018 at this point.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Limp mode..... I'd get a second opinion. A few months ago, my '05 Yukon was in a sort of limp mode, and my dash was showing " Service 4 wheel drive" and a CEL. The next day, I found my battery ground connection was not tight. Fixed....
( I just had my starter replaced, and the battery wasn't reconnected properly)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
But, with the truck stuck in LIMP mode, how does he know there isn't an engine problem as well? Fuel pump? Catalytic converter?

If I can't drive it, normally, I better be in a "fix it" mood.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, with the truck stuck in LIMP mode, how does he know there isn't an engine problem as well? Fuel pump? Catalytic converter?

If I can't drive it, normally, I better be in a "fix it" mood.
In Limp Mode..... is the truck just slow, or is there a miss / or stumble / or exhaust smoke, also ?

When my battery ground was not tight, the transmission at a stop sign, started in ( what seemed to be), 2nd. But it ran smoothly.
( remember my last thread, " Changed starter, what can go wrong?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019