I Sank my 2003 Z71 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matsmiley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings!

This is my first post. I recently hydro-locked my Tahoe. I have already cleared all the water and am currently in the process of changing all the fluids.

The main thing I need to know is why I can start the motor with starting fluid but can’t get it to idle. I’m think maybe water got in the gas tank and I’m draining that now.

I also need to know how much fluid to put back the front and rear diff and transfer case.

This is my first Z71 but I’ve had a 05 lt tahoe that I got to almost 400k before losing oil pressure.

Thanks in advance.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

This is my first post. I recently hydro-locked my Tahoe. I have already cleared all the water and am currently in the process of changing all the fluids.

The main thing I need to know is why I can start the motor with starting fluid but can’t get it to idle. I’m think maybe water got in the gas tank and I’m draining that now.

I also need to know how much fluid to put back the front and rear diff and transfer case.

This is my first Z71 but I’ve had a 05 lt tahoe that I got to almost 400k before losing oil pressure.

Thanks in advance.
If you suspect water in your tank, it could also have water in your fuel vent hoses. Have you recently checked the spark plugs, o2 sensors, grounds (ALL of them), cleaned the MAF sensor, throttle body and checked the fuel rail/injectors?
These could all be fine, I guess I’m not sure what exactly you mean by “sank my 2003 Tahoe” or how bad it was.

I used to live down in NC and the entrance road to this subdivision I was at would get flooded during bad hurricanes. There were only a couple of us that could get in/out until the rain stopped and the water level went down. I’ve had some close calls, but I never slowed down or let her get too far under. Just keep swimming…

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Water water water everywhere. If idled fine before and now will not, IT"S THE WATER. Start with the obvious, and you have and I suspect the fuel in the tank. You SHOULD drop the tank and clean out. You vent systems are effected as well.

Just how deep was the water and how high up on the truck did it come? Yes, I have to ask. What the hell were you thinking!!!!!!!!!!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We need some more specifics about the events.

1. How deep of water?
2. Was it running and then stopped due to hydro locking?
3. Have you taken a fuel sample from the rail? Or as most have stated, drained the tank and see how many guppies come out?
4. What have you done to facilitate the drying out process?

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's the engine sound when it's running on spray? Almost anything will run on ether, not a good diagnostic. Squirt some gas down the intake and try that. If it hydraulic'd the motor while running you very very likely have mechanical damage. I hydraulic'd one on the starter a few months ago, injector stuck open while off, and it bent a connecting rod. Bent valves and bent pushrods are also common.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving clarifying questions and sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog