I Sank my 2003 Z71 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, so what rpm was she turning when you went swimming? If it was at idle, she MIGHT be okay. I drown a 4.3 years ago that just needed a good drain and dry. Also killed a 302 that was at full song when the nose dipped.... yeah, liquids don't reasonably compress.
It may just be water in the fuel system, ecm, wiring, blah blah blah.

You want to drain both differentials, transmission and tcase, and yes the engine.

Please keep us updated.

OP
OP
matsmiley

matsmiley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We need some more specifics about the events
1. How deep of water?
2. Was it running and then stopped due to hydro locking?
3. Have you taken a fuel sample from the rail? Or as most have stated, drained the tank and see how many guppies come out?
4. What have you done to facilitate the drying out process?

Sorry for the late response. I’ve been real busy. However here are the answers.

1. How deep of water?
The front end got up to the bow tie.
2. Was it running and then stopped due to hydro locking?
Yes.
3. Have you taken a fuel sample from the rail? Or as most have stated, drained the tank and see how many guppies come out?
I’ve drained the tank and had the pump replaced a few weeks prior to this happening. Before drinking the tank I was still getting fuel to the motor.
4. What have you done to facilitate the drying out process?
Pulled plugs, cranked and got all the water out of the motor and exhaust, replaced all fluid except for the diffs and transfer case. I’ve drained them but still trying to find the proper amount to put back in. Since there was water in everything it was hard to measure.

Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
matsmiley

matsmiley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for the responses!

To catch y’all up. I pulled the plugs and cranked all the water out of the motor and exhaust. I have also drained all the fluids from everywhere possible and let them dry for several days. I need to know the specs on how much to put back into the transfer case and diffs. I have also drained all the fuel.

It died at idle and when cranking there’s no rod knock and no metal in the oil when drained. The front end got up to the bow tie and the back just over the wheels (which are ballistic 20’s with dynapros)

When researching I think a ground may have came loose when getting pulled out.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

OP
OP
matsmiley

matsmiley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving clarifying questions and sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
matsmiley

matsmiley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can anyone please help with the amount of diff, transfer and trans case fluid amounts I should put back into the truck?

Also I think a ground may have came loose because when cranking everything sounds fine and will fire up with starting fluid but not idle. No bad sound coming from engine and no metal in the oil.

Thanks again for everyone’s help!

OP
OP
matsmiley

matsmiley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I do not know exactly off the top of my head, but I THINK about 3 quarts rear diff 3 front both gear oil and 2.5 to 3 quarts for transfer case, 4 button will be special fluid and 3 button should just be atf.
Thanks for the help! When you say ‘3 or 4 button’ are you talking about how many buttons are on the dash for 4wd? The transfer case fluid was blue and the atf was red.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! When you say ‘3 or 4 button’ are you talking about how many buttons are on the dash for 4wd? The transfer case fluid was blue and the atf was red.

You must have the AUTO button on your 4x4 switch -- the blue fluid is AutoTrak II and that Tcase takes just under 2 quarts.

Be sure to crack open the FILL plugs on the Tcase and diffs before you drain them. Make sure you'll be able to ADD fluid, before you drain them...

OP
OP
matsmiley

matsmiley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just an update for everyone:

She is good as new and runs like a dream!

Only issues from the flooding was a CEL from the knock sensors. That I assume got rusted when the 50+ gallons of water got sent through the system. I plan to fix them but if I’m going to replace them I want to do a whole to intake system and maybe even pull the head covers to see how the engine is looking.

The water that got in the transmission I tried to just cycle out but a flush was the only way to get the fluid transparent again. It doesn’t slip but when cold the 1-2 shift is a little rough.

Other than that after dropping the tank and flushing all the fluid (complete trans flush) which isn’t that hard to do yourself, especially if you have an extra hand. Everything is good to go.

The only issue now is that the 4wd click and pulls to the left when engaged. The click isn’t from the transfer case. It almost sounds like rod knock at high speeds.

If anyone has any info on that, please, let me know!

Thanks everyone for the help during the fix!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia