I might have found a gem that is about 1/2 mile from my American Legion post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is him being a fellow vet a plus to you? I cant see how that matters. I mean, i served, and the guys i served with didnt take care of shit.
I think it is a case of the seller being a veteran leading to @PNW VietVet possibly getting a better deal. It is just a bonus that the current owner seems to be as meticulous as @PNW VietVet

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Are you happy now? Here is my report back to you guys. Sheesh, you guys are worse than my passed wife. She had no patience.

I did go to look at it and I drove it as well. The inside was very clean and in great shape. The only exception was the passenger side front seat where the seat controls stick thru the plastic side cover. The front of that cover was almost completely broken off and hanging there but in no way effected the controls. The left front corner and the right front corner of the bumper had scraps on them from likely a stone or brick surface. The right front was the worst and fairly deep but no denting at all. The passenger side rear wheel well had a gouge at the back of it but was just no big deal. The rest of the rig looked fine on the outside. I crawled under it from all four side and found no oil leaks or damage but did see a corrosive stain at the water pump weep hole and the belly pan under there showed signs of the corrosion dropping on it, plus the coolant reservoir was low. He had listed before at $9k but that had been 15 weeks before. He recently dropped the price to $8500. The tires had less than 50%, about 40% left in my opinion and they were wearing even. Brakes felt really good, especially after I was braking down from 95 mph. Has the 3.42 gears and the G80 limited slip.

He had listed as excellent condition. He stated that as per KBB. I was prepared for that and pulled out the KBB definitions for excellent, very good and good conditions. He finally accepted that it was not excellent and not very good. The major scrapes at both front corners, the gouge at the right rear and the less than 50% on the tires and the leaking water pump classify the rig as good condition. I did not mention the rf seat plate that was cracked when we looked at the KBB classification. He kept saying the water pump was not leaking. I said the weep hole is there to show leakage before it goes completely out and leaves you stranded. I offered in the middle of the KBB value at $7500. He kept trying to say it was worth more and said that the KBB, he had it on his phone, said middle is $7770. I said please think about the $7500 offer and we shook hands and I drove away. When I got up I started thinking about all the vehicles he had there. A Z71 Tahoe, a 2013 Tahoe for the wife. He had a newer Mustang and a small foreign made pickup out at the curb and he was going to buy an Avalanche. The wife joked on the phone once about having too many vehicles. I think she wants that Z71 gone before he gets the Avalanche. So, I texted him this morning and offered the middle price of $7700 and that was my final offer.

I am now waiting to hear back. We shall see what happens.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think it is a case of the seller being a veteran leading to @PNW VietVet possibly getting a better deal. It is just a bonus that the current owner seems to be as meticulous as @PNW VietVet

His other vehicles were looking very clean and in great shape. I think the guy wants and will settle for $8000 but I just don't see that and if I have to wait for the used vehicle market to come down, I will.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Update: I did, as I said in a previous post, text him back this morning and offered $7700. I even offered up my services for maint and repairs on his other vehicles at 1/2 price on labor and get him discounts and he can buy parts thru my connections here locally. He said he wanted $8200 and I said no. The prices will go down eventually and I will eventually find what I want for the right price but I am always willing to walk away from a rig, no matter how much I may want it. I think that if he waits 2-3 more weeks and the wife gets tired of the vehicles all over the place, he may get back to me on the $7700 but at that time there will be no offer of my labor and parts discounts. The search moves on.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Man are you ever going to buy a rig Ron? LMAO! I think this is what...3-4 threads on your searches? :p

LOL! I get it. If you guys want I can just stop posting what I may get and just wait till I actually get something and then post. I just like to get opinions for these things and I am not willing to pay more than I think something is worth just because I want it or the used car market is high. I am getting ready to look at this one. He is bringing by here today for me to look at. Tell me what you think........................or not. :D

https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/d/springfield-2004-chevy-tahoe-z71/7174590607.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali