Hybrid trans replacement-

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer might tell you they dont have them, but GM Parts shows they ship them from the warehouse.

I would check another dealer, and see whats up. GMC, Cadillac, Chevy.

Or email [email protected] And see if they can provide more info about that specific part. My local dealers are putting a markup on them of about 13%.

So if GMPartsDirect.com can ship you one, it would save 1000 bucks. But shipping might make it more expensive. I dont know. not sure how core charges work thru a online parts service.

You have to watch out for the “in stock” on all the parts web sites. They say everything is in stock that isn’t officially discontinued or backordered but they rarely actually have it at the dealer that “runs” the web site. They have to order it from GM and then ship it out. All the parts web sites are run off the same software which has fairly limited access, just the same as Alldata only has limited access and pales in comparison to the real service information.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I called the dealer and they said “oh yea, we have those”. Only to find out the do NOT have them and gm stopped doing the remans.

Is there a particular harness to make a newer model (10-13) work in the 09 truck? They are much cheaper but I’m not sure if it is possible to do.

I found an 09 transmission with 120k on it but it’s 3800 bones. Where the 10-13 are like 1500.
most likely it would work but the AUX pump connector is different which an adapter (50-70$) 24259588.. can be bought for it i got a 10-13 Aux pump installed on mine

that is the only difference between the 10-13 and 08-09 at lest from technical service bulletins i would still consult a gm service mechanic though

you should also look for a M99 transmission found in Dodge Durango or Chrysler aspein and chevy silverado/GMC serria,

Not the 2mode transmission from mercedes benz or BMW these are physically different bell housings

Note: the transmission from dodge/Chrysler might be more worn out due to the hemi higher output then the GM ones

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had completely forgotten about that Aspen/Durango connection..

Thats the only I found on Evilbay

I remember watching a video lately about how to adapt a 2wd tranny to a 4wd tranny at no cost.. Will have to see if I can find it.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like a 4L60/70/80 can be adapted to 4wd for free. The Toyota guys have been doing this a long time apparently.

Whether or not this hack works for the Hybrid tranny... I dont know.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like a 4L60/70/80 can be adapted to 4wd for free. The Toyota guys have been doing this a long time apparently.

Whether or not this hack works for the Hybrid tranny... I dont know.

i think the differences between them is the drive shaft length

esp since this is a limited production type of deal compared to the others

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be the case if we were talking about converting his 4wd to 2wd, there would also be a problem of output shaft length.

I am talking about converting the 2wd transmission to 4wd.

The transmission internals are physically the same, but...
2wd transmissions typically have a long output shaft.
4wd transmissions typically have short/shorter output shaft.
And since that shaft goes thru the transmission, its quite an ordeal to just replace.

I researched around a bit.. And it appears the same process for shortening the 2wd output shaft --might-- work. The only thing I have not been able to find is what the output shaft length is for the 2wd. I can find it for a 4wd... its a short little guy. I also cant find any pictures of it to see if its splined to the point it shoulders at the transmission apex bearing.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be the case if we were talking about converting his 4wd to 2wd, there would also be a problem of output shaft length.

I am talking about converting the 2wd transmission to 4wd.

The transmission internals are physically the same, but...
2wd transmissions typically have a long output shaft.
4wd transmissions typically have short/shorter output shaft.
And since that shaft goes thru the transmission, its quite an ordeal to just replace.

I researched around a bit.. And it appears the same process for shortening the 2wd output shaft --might-- work. The only thing I have not been able to find is what the output shaft length is for the 2wd. I can find it for a 4wd... its a short little guy. I also cant find any pictures of it to see if its splined to the point it shoulders at the transmission apex bearing.
according to documentation I have located it's idential too the base models see page 5 and 6

The Two-mode Hybrids are offered in both 2WD and 4WD configurations. The transfer cases in the 4WD models are identical to transfer cases found in the base model application. Recreational or Dinghy towing is only permissible on 4WD vehicles with the transfer case in neutral and the transmission output shaft held stationary in Park.

also check this informational
guide for transmission issues FIRST before replacement

I would also make sure the AUX pump is working too, without it the transmission will not move... as it applies clutch #1 and #2 pressure...

if you want i can take some photos i got RWD but i'm not taking it apart though..

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the output shaft from a 2L70 4x4

Screenshot_20220610-155821_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20220610-160047_YouTube.jpg

Let me try to explain this another way..

On a 4x4, the slip yoke is on the tail of the transfer case, for rear axle movement, causing the slip yoke to move in and out of the transfer case.
On a 2x4, the slip yoke is on the tail of the transmission, for rear axle movement, causing the slip yoke to move in and out of the transmission.

If you compare any of the other GM Transmissions, 2x4 vs 4x4, on a 4x4 the output shaft on the tranny is shorter because of the direct drive into the fixed position of the transfer case.

For Reference a 4L60E 2wd
10077454_ete_t280813_alt1_pri_larg.jpg

And a 4L60 4x4 (w/ transfer case adapter plate)
s-l1600.jpg

A 4L60 4x4 (W/O adapter plate)
s-l1600.jpg

The only I am bringing up the 4L60 is because GM is a creature of habit. Why would they change the norm... But then I realize we are talking about a out of norm Hybrid.

This is why I am trying to find a pic or measurements of a 2L70 2WD w/o the slip yoke cover. That would for sure answer the question. I already know that the 2wd output shaft is longer. I just dont know by how much, and if splined.

If its long, and splined down to the shoulder, than the OP could buy a 2wd tranny, modify it (trim the output shaft) and he would be off and running.

Does any of what I am saying make sense? LOL

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop