How much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a painter quote me $400 a panel. I've got barn doors, so by my count that's 10 panels. That's $4k CAD, and that's with no disassembly.

Bayou Dave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The guy that painted has a really small shop, just him and a helper. They took everything off the truck. Bumpers, grill, door handles, locks, all weather stripping off the windows and roof rack. They must have had 20 hours of labor into the paint job. I was happy to pay them the $2800.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy that painted has a really small shop, just him and a helper. They took everything off the truck. Bumpers, grill, door handles, locks, all weather stripping off the windows and roof rack. They must have had 20 hours of labor into the paint job. I was happy to pay them the $2800.
That really seems reasonable. Time and materials... Always the biggest factors in paint/body work.
Some paint companies make better product than others.

But even then, one company is likely to have different "levels" of paint in their product lines.
More or less pigment, more or less whatever in the base...
Different price points due to amounts and quality of ingredients used.

BASF makes the paint used on the Rolls-Royce Phantom.
I'd be willing to bet BASF makes something like a MAACO-grade (maybe they don't supply MAACO... just a comparitive example here); and that (whatever their "bargain" or entry-level product line may be) it is probably MUCH different than what Rolls-Royce uses.

Look up automotive "base coat paint gallon". You will find examples of paint in 1 gallon cans ranging from:
Under $70...

to over $500...

Then, prep time adds into cost huge!
Quick shops might just do a quick wipe with de-greaser and mask what they can reach.
Others will tear things off as much as possible to get perfection from every angle inside and out.

For $2,800, it sounds like they really put proper effort and time into your project. That would be a fair price for all that.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is he located? I wouldn't be opposed to giving someone like that my business.
That is exactly the type of shop I was suggesting one of our members from West Palm Beach to seek out. I was suggesting to look further out away from the WPB shops that can charge people with open checkbooks for their Lambos and McLarens. I told him he might do better (at least in the wallet) looking for a small shop further inland, like horse or cattle country towns. He was sure to pay through the nose for anything in the rich city...

Bayou Dave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
He is located in Abbeville Louisiana. He moved his shop here from Houston about 4 years ago. I have no idea how long he has been doing body and paint work but suspect is many decades. One more thing. I drop off my car or truck, he drives me back home and then picks me up when the work is done. How is that for customer service!!
If anyone wants to contact him his name is Nick and his cell # is 713-459-4865. Just tell himi that Dave, with the Caddy and Tahoe, recommended him.

OP
OP
S

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He is located in Abbeville Louisiana. He moved his shop here from Houston about 4 years ago. I have no idea how long he has been doing body and paint work but suspect is many decades. One more thing. I drop off my car or truck, he drives me back home and then picks me up when the work is done. How is that for customer service!!
If anyone wants to contact him his name is Nick and his cell # is 713-459-4865. Just tell himi that Dave, with the Caddy and Tahoe, recommended him.
Oh man, that is too far from me. It seems so hard to find someone in my area that I actually trust or come highly recommended. Seems to me that the days of the mom and pops are about over. I know when I lived in Indiana there were about 4 or 5 shops that were awesome. I used one for 15 years exclusively. Now they are all gone and only the dealers and "big box" places remain. Sad for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts